I May Be Uncarrier-ing Verizon Via T-Mobile

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't have the best reception in my house, but I travel frequently and so VZW is really the only choice (I should probably look into an extender at some point). I'm grandfathered unlimited, so there wouldn't be much savings for me switching.

Just kind of waiting to see what happens with VoLTE.
are you 100% sure vzw is the only choice? when was the last time you checked? I know for me it was about 7 years ago... things may have changed, may not have... either way, I'm going to wait a bit longer until vzw forcefully takes my unlimited data, once that happens I'll switch regardless. I'll be completely out of contract soon and I'll just wait..

hopefully with their new merger and their LTE rollout maybe just maybe they'll have a fighting chance.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
T-Mobile and Ting are both on my list with a lean towards T-Mobile since I'm not sure Sprint's network is as fast. I'm going to wait to see what phone(s) gets announced at or around I/O and weigh what's available. I can find a buyer(s) for two grandfathered unlimited data plans. I'd be willing to eat the ETF for one of my lines in order to get rid of VZW. My expenses have been going up and my take home has been reduced thanks to my elected officials so something somewhere is going to have to give; VZW has made it clear to me that they don't care if I'm a customer or not and are happy to pull a bait and switch on me when it suits them.

I rarely travel outside the metro area, but if I'm going to an area that I know isn't covered, I can probably just find a cheap MVNO that uses a carrier with better coverage. I'd still be saving a bundle. I wish T-Mobile had trial SIMs where you could check coverage make test calls to a line, and test data to their website; I'd like to see if I can get any two of my D2G, D3, or D4 to work on T-Mobile. If I can get anything faster than EDGE, I'd probably switch sooner, put my grandfathered data up for sale, and upgrade to better phones later.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
are you 100% sure vzw is the only choice? when was the last time you checked?

I travel all over the country. Anyone can look at the maps and see VZW is the superior choice. My friend has AT&T and travels all over, as well, and almost all the time when he calls me it's awful. It's not even close as far as a choice.

bigdog357

Reaction score
I think everyone here knows Verizon is the best, I had them 4 years, I just like where T-Mobile is trying to go, and as far as speed on my note 2 I have plenty of it, Verizon was small at one time, till we all made them what they are today, and T-Mobile can do the same, I just hope they don't screew us in the end like Verizon,anyway to each there own,I'm rooting 4 tmobile,I haven't had to call T-Mobile 1time yet to ask y my bill is so high,cause its the same every month.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just called Tmo today and got a rep too explain the new plans for me.She offered me Unlimited text/talk/data and 4.5GB of 4G for 70.I'll get a 15% discount so now Im asking myself is it worth giving up my 4gigs of 4G/450talk/1000text for 85.00 a mth?My pastors sec has a SS2 and I promise you,she had 3-4 bars of 4G service in our church.My S3 had only 1-2.I took a pic with her phone sent it to my S3 annd I got in about 1.5mins.She says she gets great seervice.The rep said they might be able too get me a better discount.My ETA for VZW is 230.00.Im seriously thinking about that thing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wait a second...you're going to save about $25 per month, but pay an ETF of $230 PLUS buy a new phone? You might want to re-think that - it will take you over a year to break-even.

While there's no guarantee the same deal will be there a year from now, one of two things will happen:
1) TMo gets a bunch of subcribers and so VZW/AT&T/Sprint will respond to stop the bleeding
2) TMo continues to be an also-ran and offers similar, if not better, deals a year from now..

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait a second...you're going to save about $25 per month, but pay an ETF of $230 PLUS buy a new phone? You might want to re-think that - it will take you over a year to break-even.

While there's no guarantee the same deal will be there a year from now, one of two things will happen:
1) TMo gets a bunch of subcribers and so VZW/AT&T/Sprint will respond to stop the bleeding
2) TMo continues to be an also-ran and offers similar, if not better, deals a year from now..
Who said something about breaking even?That's not my goal sir.Im tired of contracts and I want a Nexus that I dont have too wait for a carrier(VZW)to ok the update.But I do appreciate you looking out for me,but I got this sir.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hopefully Tmo does get alot of subcribers,someone needs to shake things up.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Crank I see what kodiak is saying. If you pay the etf and you go to tmobile and it sucks then you just burned through money.

Few questions

1) do you have unlimited data with vzw

2) when does your contract end with vzw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Crank I see what kodiak is saying. If you pay the etf and you go to tmobile and it sucks then you just burned through money.

Few questions

The fact that I'm holding on to my two unlimited lines is the only reason I'm not leaving. But 250 a month for five lines is killing me... I'm hoping to turn three of them off and cut my minutes in half which will save me 80 or so. But still if tmo can get better coverage is be willing to switch. Vote with my wallet, if they care for their customers unlike Verizon

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score

Few questions

4GB-Contract ends 3/20/14

JohnAP2

Reaction score
I just currently made the switch from VZW to pre-paid T-Mobile ($30 plan) and couldn't be more happy with my Nexus 4 (had the GS3) along with the service. HSPA+ works fine in Chicagoland and it's plenty fast for me. I sold the phone on Ebay and thanks to some great advice from another Droid Forums member I also sold my unlimited data plan via an Assumption of Liability (AOL) for $325. I used the "Google Voice Trick" to quickly port my longstanding number to Google Voice and immediately requested a new number on my MyVerizon website. Otherwise, if you port out the account will be closed and you will be SOL.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just currently made the switch from VZW to pre-paid T-Mobile ($30 plan) and couldn't be more happy with my Nexus 4 (had the GS3) along with the service. HSPA+ works fine in Chicagoland and it's plenty fast for me. I sold the phone on Ebay and thanks to some great advice from another Droid Forums member I also sold my unlimited data plan via an Assumption of Liability (AOL) for $325. I used the "Google Voice Trick" to quickly port my longstanding number to Google Voice and immediately requested a new number on my MyVerizon website. Otherwise, if you port out the account will be closed and you will be SOL.

Please link to Google voice trick... I'd love to know what this is

---

JohnAP2

Reaction score
Please link to Google voice trick... I'd love to know what this is

---

It's really quite easy. I logged into my GV account and requested a port of my longstanding Verizon number. Immediately after paying my 20.00 fee I logged into MyVerizon and requested a new number which instantly replaced the old one. 24 hours later the GV port went through and my old number was safe! It's a bit worrisome because your number "disappears" for one day but it ported just fine. I did a lot of reading about it prior and worried a lot for nothing. It saved my VZW account for selling under an AOL without having to give up my number.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's really quite easy. I logged into my GV account and requested a port of my longstanding Verizon number. Immediately after paying my 20.00 fee I logged into MyVerizon and requested a new number which instantly replaced the old one. 24 hours later the GV port went through and my old number was safe! It's a bit worrisome because your number "disappears" for one day but it ported just fine. I did a lot of reading about it prior and worried a lot for nothing. It saved my VZW account for selling under an AOL without having to give up my number.

Thanks... I think I'll be doing this if I ever decide to switch

---