I just woke up to my phone being on the ground. . .

WhoDat SeanDat

Reaction score
(First time poster, sorry if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed)

Tl;dr version:
I woke up about 20 minutes ago to a loud crash noise. I turned on the light in my room and saw my Motorola Droid on the floor, screen down. I was scared, being the first time it was dropped. My screen is all black, so I'm assuming the LCD broke. However, the weird part is the back light is on, even after I took out the battery. Anyone know what's going on?

Short version:
Phone was dropped on screen, breaking the screen. The back light was on, even with the battery taken out.

Thanks

bomber889

Reaction score
How is the back light on when you took out the battery? Is it charging? Did you try to reboot it?

OP
WhoDat SeanDat

WhoDat SeanDat

Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering.

I took out the battery as an initial reaction, and the back light stayed on UNTIL I removed the SD card and reinserted it.

The phone was NOT hooked on the charger when I took out the battery, but it WAS hooked on when it fell.

bomber889

Reaction score
The sd card shouldn't have any affect to whether the backlight stays on or not. Have you tried to turn it back on?

OP
WhoDat SeanDat

WhoDat SeanDat

Reaction score
(I threw in the sdCard thing just for more info)

Yes, I have. When I turn it on, the back light stays lit up. (This alone is strange, if the LCD itself was broken, wouldn't the back light turn off eventually once it hits sleep mode at the lock menu?)

bomber889

Reaction score
So it doesn't even show the M sign? Unfortunately, I do not know enough about this stuff so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help you.

J

Johnly

I have dropped mine several times, and never had that. Take it in....

OP
WhoDat SeanDat

WhoDat SeanDat

Reaction score
Sadly, no M sign. ."/

I should, eh? How much would it be for a replacement? :3

OP
WhoDat SeanDat

WhoDat SeanDat

Reaction score
Johnly, I love you. Do I need to bring anything to the store, or just the Droid?

Thanks for taking the time to post in here guys. I appreciate it!

Big D

Reaction score
A related question:

What do you do if your droid is totally dead (like the op's) and you are rooted?

You have to bring in the phone and you can't boot it up to unroot. Are you just screwed?

littlerick

Reaction score
i dont think the manufacturer warranty covers you dropping it.... sounds like a insurance claim

Bdog

Reaction score
Big D, if you can't turn it on to unroot it, they probably can't turn it on to find out it's rooted. Unless you hacked a custom M boot logo and it is obvious, you can most likely get away with not mentioning that you're rooted