I have a Bionic and thinking about the switch to Razor Maxx HD. - Insight?

brunla

Reaction score
I was on GB forever with no 4G service at all for 6 months. Finally got ICS update and now my phone lags beyond belief. You hit an app and it takes 20-30 seconds to respond. DOes the RAZR MAXX HD giving you everything you need? 4G, speed, quickness, long battery life?
I may want to just pay and make the switch if you recommend. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHT ON THE PHONE?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I am absolutely loving my Maxx HD! I upgraded from original Maxx and at first wasn't sure the upgrade was worth me paying full retail (keeping my unlimited data FOREVER! LOL), but the more I use it the more and more I am liking it! Especially after going into stores and playing with the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2 ...

The new Snapdragon processor is noticeable right off the bat ... the device is extremely responsive and fluid. I haven't had any significant lag while using the device.

The on-screen soft keys are awesome and, IMO, are the only way ICS should be used. Before my first Maxx I came from GNex (great device, terrible phone in my experience) and the lacking on-screen navigation keys was the hardest adjustment for me. Believe it or not, the on-screen navigation was a huge factor in me upgrading ...

The screen itself is beautiful - it took me a while to appreciate it coming from my first Maxx, but again, it's one of those things where the more I play, the more I like :D

As far as connectivity - it has been flawless for me. I live in a heavily saturated 4G area and have not had a single hiccup ... WiFi to 4G handoffs are quick and seamless. Call quality has been superb - crystal clear without one dropped call thus far.

The battery is just plain insane! There's just no other way to explain it! I can get 1.5 days off one charge. Of course, everyone uses their phone different so results will vary, but if long battery life is a "must have" on your next device list, then the Maxx HD (IMO) is in a class of it's own!

Also, I think what Moto has done with Blur is awesome ... it's not intrusive at all while having some very nice, useful features. When I played with the SGS3 and the Note 2, the skin just seemed too cumbersome and appeared to completely overwrite the base Android OS. I had the GNex for about 8 months and I can say that the Maxx HD is very close to stock Android ... (the EXTREME amount of bloatware is ridiculous though! I think putting apps on a device that cannot be deleted should be illegal!! I just dropped $650 on this thing and have crap apps on here taking up space :mad: ... but, I digress ... this is another topic in and of itself)

There's my $0.02 .... hope it helps.

~~ Tapped from the 7th dimension~~

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yank hit it spot on... This phone is definitely a great Moto hit IMO... I'm currently testing it on my 14 day and I'm truly impressed.. Blur is not an issue..Only knocks you will see on different forums will say the camera is not great.. I can take good pics and some so so but not a deal breaker.. No phone is perfect but this one I would recommend to anyone.. I say give it a try it will only cost you $35 if you decide to return.. I think you will fall in love with it.. Lol

I will add two pics.. Lol yesterday's lunch and one of my battery days with heavy use... :D
va8usu4u.jpg
nu4yjaja.jpg

BK MaXX'hd

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
If you are having that much problems then I would have switched yesterday. But yeah, the Maxx HD is so perfect right now, that I'm don't even care that it is not on jelly bean. You ask about "4G, speed, quickness, long battery life?" All of those are 10/10 on this Device!

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
Sounds like some really happy campers! You know I just bought tons of accessories for the Bionic and I have the unlimited data plan. None of those will work if I get a new phone. I really wanted to hold out for ICS in hopes it would make the Bionic what it was supposed to be. It definitely fixed the 4G issues, but the lag is just too much. To have to wait a minimum of 5 to 30 seconds when you press a button is ridiculous. I was concerned about not being able to change the battery in a flash, but if you can get a full 24 hours on one charge, that will work for me. Thanks for the input!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Good luck with your decision.. Also how much data do you average a month? I will not give up my unlimited so I've started buying @ full price...

BK MaXX'hd

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
I'm not really sure because for the last year I have been primarily living off wifi all the time at home and office. Even then I use about 2-3GB. I suppose I could continue that way as along as wi-fi on razr doesn't consume massive amounts of battery. (It actually helped battery life on the Bionic.)

Good luck with your decision.. Also how much data do you average a month? I will not give up my unlimited so I've started buying @ full price...

BK MaXX'hd

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Oh that's cool.. Yeah wifi should yield even better battery results.. I've not messed with smart actions but I believe they can be set to kick in to wifi depending on locations.. And it will not count on your data.. :thumbup:

BK MaXX'hd

Ed Blown Vert

Reaction score
Website
ls1.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung S22U
I switched from the Bionic, and the first thing I noticed was battery life. I would have to charge at work to make it through the day. Then sometime switch to my 2nd battery when I got home.
Now I can make it all day and night with no problems.
The phone doesn't seem much faster then the Bionic. At least I don't notice.
Screen is nice. Brighter colors.
It was worth the upgrade price.

hatchin

Reaction score
I had a Bionic for the Gorilla glass, a strong internal amplifier to run my full size headphones, and I like Motorola phones but the screen and camera's suck. I then bought an HTC Rezound for its amazing screen and camera's but the internal amp is Weak. I sold both of these phones and got the Maxx HD and I am 100% happy. The screen is very clean, the battery is Amazing, the processor is fast, the internal amp is powerful just like the Bionic, the camera's are the best so far for a Moto (the Rezound and Galaxy SIII have a better camera but this camera is pretty good) and of coarse I still love the Gorilla glass.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do a factory reset before you buy a new phone. The Bionic does NOT lag with ICS. AT ALL.

EDIT: And hell, what's it gonna hurt? If you buy a new phone you have to start from scratch, anyways.

MightyT01

Reaction score
Do a factory reset before you buy a new phone. The Bionic does NOT lag with ICS. AT ALL.

EDIT: And hell, what's it gonna hurt? If you buy a new phone you have to start from scratch, anyways.

What he said. You can also clear your cache after the ICS update. Just search the forum here on how to do it. Honestly my Bionic is now faster than my Razr Maxx after the ICS update and a nice bump to my Bionic's processor to 1.2 GHZ. Same as my Razr Maxx. I tested both phones using Quadrant.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2.

OP
B

brunla

Reaction score
I've actually done TWO factory resets and wiped cache. Turned off background processes, animations and STILL have slight lag. (5 to 30 seconds going into an app.) Maybe I just have a bad phone.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
What he said. You can also clear your cache after the ICS update. Just search the forum here on how to do it. Honestly my Bionic is now faster than my Razr Maxx after the ICS update and a nice bump to my Bionic's processor to 1.2 GHZ. Same as my Razr Maxx. I tested both phones using Quadrant.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2.

Factory Data reset technically does a cache wipe for you, along with a data wipe. So if you do FDR, you're all set.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've actually done TWO factory resets and wiped cache. Turned off background processes, animations and STILL have slight lag. (5 to 30 seconds going into an app.) Maybe I just have a bad phone.

Could be, because that's not normal. I'd see if I could get Verizon to replace it, since it doesn't sound like anything you did caused it. Some apps can take awhile to load, but the splash screen (if present) should come up almost immediately. The Bionic with ICS should fly.

Is it still within its one year warranty? Or do you have the full insurance package with TEC and extended warranty?