I don't understand "folders"...

cadre.9

Reaction score
Can someone explain the purpose of folders? I understand them on a pc; grouping and storing related files and programs. But on my phone the apps, pictures, music, etc are already grouped and one tap away. Why would I need to group and store them in a folder?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

droid doctor

Reaction score
To have easier access on the homescreen to organized apps. Lets say you have a lot of games they are on the app tray so when you hit the app drawer they're everywhere. The use of folders is to group them together and have them easier to reach on the homescreen.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Okay... so I guess the more stuff I use, the more I might need to assign things to folders for quicker access. Right now I don't have many games and nearly all the apps I use regularly are on a home screen.

Thanks, makes more sense now.

cadre

droid doctor

Reaction score
Well the game thing was an example but it reduces the space used so you can use it on Widgets.

Reaction score
They're for quick easy access to app categories, at least for me they are. I found it annoying to just throw a bunch of apps on a homescreen, and attempt to categorize them that way.

So I made folders for Social, News, Tools, Utilities, and Root.

Social has apps like AIM (i only use it for fb chat), facebook, other apps, and the droidforums app.

Tool and Utilities....they're pretty much the same, it's just whichever folder I feel like throwing a tool/utility into.

To sum it up, I find it FAR easier and more time efficient if I only have to swipe to one homescreen to access my most used apps vs either hitting the app drawer or looking for it on one of up to 7 homescreens.