Hydrogen Fuel Cells for Cellular phones possibly coming soon!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just heard a report on TV about Apple filing patents for Hydrogen Fuel Cells to be included in future cell phones, pads, etc. They claim it would supply power for "weeks" without recharge. :icon_eek: I really hope it makes it to the Android world and that Apple doesn't get to monopolize that like they try everything else. :mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-files-patents-fuel-cell-computers-002556882.html

jkliving92

Reaction score
Just heard a report on TV about Apple filing patents for Hydrogen Fuel Cells to be included in future cell phones, pads, etc. They claim it would supply power for "weeks" without recharge. :icon_eek: I really hope it makes it to the Android world and that Apple doesn't get to monopolize that like they try everything else. :mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-files-patents-fuel-cell-computers-002556882.html

I wouldn't hold your breath about apple not trying to monopolize. They make good products but they're constant tries to straight up ban competition really makes me despise them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

Apple Files Patents for Fuel Cell Computers - Yahoo! News
Well, I'm not a "rocket scientist" but I find that pretty hard to believe. A hydrogen fuel cell for a cell phone...come on. They can't figure that out for something as big as a car. And, if the could accomplish this feat, what would they do with the water that is an inevitable biproduct of the process...I guess they'll provide a drain plug for that :r_c:

R

RETG

Actually, there has been a company (Angstrom) in Canada that has been working on hydrogen cell phone batteries for years. Believe they are currently in a testing phase to prove they are not explosive. The by product of the chemical reaction would have to be store within the battery since as the previous person noted, a drain valve would not be practical.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Actually, there has been a company (Angstrom) in Canada that has been working on hydrogen cell phone batteries for years. Believe they are currently in a testing phase to prove they are not explosive. The by product of the chemical reaction would have to be store within the battery since as the previous person noted, a drain valve would not be practical.

Actually, the amount of Hydrogen required by such a small fuel cell to produce 5V and only several hundred Milli-amperes of current, would yield a miniscule amount of water. The byproduct water could be absorbed into a very small porous wick and a tiny fan-forced vent through would evaporate the water as harmless vapor.

Also, since the entire process from sodium borohydride and water, combining with Oxygen in a membrane, is completely closed and there is no opportunity for combustion, therefore would not be explosive.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually, the amount of Hydrogen required by such a small fuel cell to produce 5V and only several hundred Milli-amperes of current, would yield a miniscule amount of water. The byproduct water could be absorbed into a very small porous wick and a tiny fan-forced vent through would evaporate the water as harmless vapor.

Also, since the entire process from sodium borohydride and water, combining with Oxygen in a membrane, is completely closed and there is no opportunity for combustion, therefore would not be explosive.

you lost me at "Actually"

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
you lost me at "Actually"

Sorry... When the Oxygen combines with the Hydrogen (through the Platinum and membrane stack) electrons are released and water is produced. The electrons make the electricity flow that the phone will use. A simple process of air over a material that is wet will cause evaporation of the water. It's no different than clothes drying on the clothesline.

For a more in-depth explanation, see Fuel cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

R

RETG

A tiny fan to evaporate the moisture and no explosion potential. So, you should call the company and let them know so they can save tons of money on testing and design,.:hail::hail:

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
A tiny fan to evaporate the moisture and no explosion potential. So, you should call the company and let them know so they can save tons of money on testing and design,.:hail::hail:

It's easy to misunderstand a fuelcell and believe that there it's risk of explosion, but in order for there to be an explosion, the Hydrogen and Oxygen would have to mix, and then there would need to be a source of ignition. In a fuelcell, the Hydrogen and Oxygen are on opposite sides of a barrier and never actually combine as gasses. Also, there's no ignition source.

Instead of the combining of gasses and combustion (spark) as inside an internal combustion engine, the process of molecular creation of water happens at the atomic level by way of the membrane and Platinum inside the fuelcell stack. The real risk of explosion comes from the stored Hydrogen. This is why there is so much research being done to design a safe method of Hydrogen storage. Some methods use Hydrogen compounds such as the one described in the Apple patent application, and others use metals rather than simply storing the pure compressed gas.

What is ironic is that people will carry a Butane lighter in their pocket and not think twice about the fact that it's essentially a small bomb, with compressed highly flammable gas and a very effective ignition source but the idea of a Hydrogen fuelcell powered phone scares people.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Or, we could always just use a nuclear reactor...

Don't laugh, it may come to that at some point in the future.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Don't laugh, it may come to that at some point in the future.

Nope. I'm not... :p I'm sure its going to happen. (Haha, except that congress will probably shut down nuclear power before then! :p ). When the last generations were kids, they thought that everyone would have their own private nuclear reactors on all the houses.

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
What happens if phone drops get smashed and while doing so a small spark caused by static occurs?

I say let apple have it.. when half a million tiny bombs go off Apple will be DONE!

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
What happens if phone drops get smashed and while doing so a small spark caused by static occurs?

I say let apple have it.. when half a million tiny bombs go off Apple will be DONE!

Haha... it's like the idea of hydrogen cars... there's a reason why some things don't make it to production... ;). We should all take a lesson from the Hindenburg right about now! :biggrin:

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!