HTC's new flagship phone will cost $100 more after launch in the US

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
a9-fb3.jpg

HTC has not exactly captured the market with their last few Flagship devices. Now they have announced that the One A9 will sell for $100 more after it launches in the US.

If you reserve now it's yours for $399. On November 7th at 12:01AM the price goes to $499.
Here is what HTC has to say...

"The cost of the HTC One A9 is the same worldwide to all distributors and operator partners. For end consumers, HTC's sales regions are given the freedom to set prices and promotions as they see fit for local market needs. The One A9 price in the US is a very limited-time promotional offer for that region's online store, as well as select HTC-only franchise stores. The offer is a special promotional pre-sale and is expected to conclude once the One A9 is available on-shelf at major retail and distributor partners.

After the promotional pre-sale offer ends, the new price in the US at htc.com will be $499.99 beginning 12:01am on 11/7
".

Looks like HTC management missed the boat once again. A hundred bucks is a big deal. The A9 is only equipped with an octa-core Snapdragon 617 processor. Quite a step down from the Snapdragon 800 or equivalent chipsets being used in other Flagship devices.
Can we consider the A9 a Flagship device? What are your thoughts?

VIA Slashgear

Last edited by a moderator:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It's a shame.. After my great experience with the M8 ....I see HTC going down slowly like that once promising stock...

S6E+ tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I find it interesting that they're offering this deal in the US, but I suppose I get it. I would argue that China is the market that you want to crack, but I know China's got it's own ecosystem of very decent quality budget devices. I'm guessing a flagship-priced phone over there won't sell nearly as well as a cheaper-end flagship device here will sell.

While I do think I consider the device to be flagship quality, I wouldn't, by any means, put it up against the TOP of the flagship market though. I'd put the A9, based on its specs, at the low end of the flagship rankings, which is still a decent device for many people at a more attractive price point than some.

Though, when you look at the pricing for the new Nexus devices and the Moto X Pure, maybe that price isn't as nice as it originally seems. At this price point, you can get a much higher spec'd phone in the same ballpark.

So, maybe Idk what I'm talking about. I really still don't know what to make of this phone. I'm lumping this one in with the BB Priv in a way in my mind. Interesting choices. Though, on specs, I believe the Priv is also a better buy.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I agree @Jonny Kansas about the quality budget phones sold in China.. One would have a hard time competing. Except for Apple. Seems they always sell out in hours...