HTC Thunderbolt Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea how to get a 4g phone and not pay the 4g tiered data plan. But hopefully what was said about the sim card will hold true.

As for your other question about the 32gb thing. SIM Card and SD card slot are different things. your 32gb storage will be in a SD card slot and the SIM card is for something different...If im not mistaken..

If you get any response to finding a way to own a 4g phone and not pay the lte fee let me know...I live in the sticks of upstate NY and I am 4hrs away from NYC and 3hrs away from Rochester...I wont see 4g until 2013 probably.

I'm hoping VZW is smarter than Sprint and does not require a 4G plan to purchase the TB. If LTE does require a separate sim (and that seems to be the case) I'm hoping that VZW sells the phone and LTE sim separately. That would make the most sense, especially if they are going to charge a premium for LTE before it's available to everyone.

Exactly!! I neither want or need LTE, and it wont be in my zone till 2013 at the worst. We can only hope.:icon_ banana:

Well that would be nice...and wouldnt that be sweet irony if the phone can work without the 4g sim card but inorder to get it from vzw they make you pay for LTE services and then give you the SIM card?

It would be nice if they gave that option saying "hey we dont have LTE yet here in your area...you only have to continue to pay what you are paying. And sir, when the time comes that LTE is in our area...you then have the option of upgrading your bill to allow the phone to work with our LTE towers."

Maybe that is what will happen to cause the world to end...or hell to freeze over...2012...crap..not that far off...

I hope VZW will be smart about this LTE thing. If they play their cards right they could be THE carrier to beat. Getting the iPhone should net them a nice little chuck of new subscribers (some of them being defectors from AT&T). Then if they undercut Sprint by grandfathering existing unlimited data subscribers into LTE at no charge and not require paying extra for something you don't need or can't use (like Sprint on the Evo) they could probably take some of Sprints business too. When did the Evo come out? Those folks will be coming out of their 2 year contracts mid 2012 I think. Does Spint offer 1 year contracts?

Verizon just needs to keep their network healthy and reasonably priced and they will be the best carrier out there.

Sprint does offer 1 year contracts, but I don't see any of those people dropping Sprint for Verizon especially when neither network has a large 4g network base established. Or even for a slightly more powerful EVO, whichever the Thunderbolt essentially is.

I do hope that to get the LTE service that you can buy the sim-card for it separately. Or like Motty stated they will just grandfather us unlimited data users in to the 4g plans at no extra charge. Only one thing would be better, if they did not change the data pricing for 4g phones and still have a unlimited offer for $29.99.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

You all realize the phones have to have a sim card to function, right? that will be they case for all 4g lte phones.

And secondly all the prices listed for 4G LTE earlier in this thread are for MOBILE BROADBAND. As in a Mifi or USB Stick. I dont believe Verizon ever said at this moment that pricing would differ for smartphones from the current standard.

You all realize the phones have to have a sim card to function, right? that will be they case for all 4g lte phones.

And secondly all the prices listed for 4G LTE earlier in this thread are for MOBILE BROADBAND. As in a Mifi or USB Stick. I dont believe Verizon ever said at this moment that pricing would differ for smartphones from the current standard.

I believe that the sim card is only needed to utilize the Verizons LTE, 4g network. The CDMA network that is currently used by Verizon for calls dose not need a sim-card to operate, as GSM networks do.

Yes I already know the pricing for the MiFi and USB sticks, and phone data plans, they are two different pricing scales.

I did however read an article some where, I believe that one of our members posted a link to it in another thread, that Verizon was thinking about charging for "Buckets of MB". I believe that the article was referring to the upcomming LTE phone data prices.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

I think your 100% correct (about pricing). The price for mobile broadband is exactly the same for 3G & 4G ($50 for 5GB, $80 for 10GB, $10 per 1GB over allowance). There's no reason to believe that the data plan for smartphones will be more expensive at this point.

So I guess as of now we are looking at 1/27 or 2/3 at the very earliest for the TB (which I personally think is highly unlikely b/c Verizon would not want people with upgrades to get it first, then return it when the iPhone releases on 2/10 (which is their CLEAR focus at the moment), and HTC would not want its release to be overshadowed by Apple). Therefore, I think it will either be pushed back to 3/3 or 3/10 (which is my personal hope because I have officially decided to go with the TB over the Bionic), or possibly 3/17 at the latest (which would coincide with blackmanx's tweet hinting at around St. Patrick's Day).

I think the following approach makes a lot of sense for Verizon from a business standpoint (it will most maximize their sales and profits): "(1) Get all the iPhone sales first for the people who have been waiting for it specifically, the general public who just wants a popular, attractive, and easy to use phone and is not particularly loyal to Android, and those current iphoners transferring over from ATT for better service, (2) then make a huge push for the "first LTE" Android phone for the people who have been waiting for LTE speeds specifically (and have it in their area already or will soon), which will also help take the new iPhone stress off of the 3G network, (3) then make a huge push for the "first dual core" Android phone for the people who have been waiting for dual core specifically." Regardless, Verizon is going to clean up this year from February-June, as each month will include a great new device for them! The hardest part for most people is choosing which one, because they ALL have their own advantages and flaws.

Now the big question that remains is the 4G pricing. I sincerely hope that you can keep your same payments and use only 3G if you want, with the option to pay extra to get the LTE simcard and thus ONLY utilize the 4G service when it comes to your area and/or you decide you can afford the upcharge. They should not go the route of Sprint and charge more regardless of availability in your area, they will have a lot of pissed off customers on their hands. I don't think they will though, it would be a great thing for them to hold against Sprint as far as 4G phone marketing goes. If they want to sell as many as possible of these new 4G phones, they had better not force people to pay for 4G no matter what (because a lot of people either will now want to pay more or will not have it in their area yet). Pricing also might depend on what ATT does once it gets its "4G" rolling. I bet even the Verizon people haven't decided what to do about this yet and are still trying to figure out the best way to do it. Hopefully they figure it out soon and let us know...

Hmm..so much speculation now a days its hard to believe anything, but im staying with TB being released first.

I wouldn't. iPhone is coming out first, and I'm thinking that's where I'll land (with a one-year deal, natch).

See i have had an iPhone since they first came out and yes the best thing going for it is the itunes because i have a mac computer and use itunes for my music so that would be the only reason for me to get an iPhone but i think Android is a better OS. Plus HTC Sense cant be beat and thats why im going with the Thunderbolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back