HTC One M9 Overheating Issues Supposedly Resolved

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-one-m9-overheating-fixed.png

On Monday we shared a report that the HTC One M9 was experiencing an overheating issue due to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 chipset. The surface temperatures for the device were reaching 131 degrees Fahrenheit during benchmark tests.

Shortly after that, one of HTC's execs wanted to reassure customers that it was because the final software revisions weren't in place and the overheating issue would be fixed. The latest report from XDA suggests they have kept their word. Here's a quote describing the fix:
Something to calm you guys down a little (and believe me, i'm most glad to hear this too):

My source just recieved an OTA update. Changelog: thermal improvements and camera improvements.

Device now runs aprox. 9-10℃ lower now. Max temp reached now (even while plugged to charger) --> 40℃

Sounds good to me,, way to go htc ~ herwegan

On top of this revelation from a fellow forum poster, HTC themselves recently Tweeted that the device is finalized and ready to be shipped. We will have to wait until final retail shipping units have been tested to be sure, but things are looking good. Whew! Assuming everything reported is true, HTC (and Qualcomm) fans can breathe a sigh of relief.

Here's our dedicated HTC One M9 section for further discussion: HTC One M9 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Hmmm, underclocked like LG did with the Flex 2?

I'm rooting for HTC and I hope they get things right with this phone.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's probably a good guess @wicked! ;)

Either that or some type of throttling of the CPU/GPU.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They should have stuck with the 801 or went with the 805. Sad they most likely had to dial things back to make it function without this issue. But then you'd have people complaining about using old processors even though there would be no noticeable difference. I'm sure it'll run just fine but I hate to see HTC solve one issue just to create another. I really wanted the M9 to be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk