HTC: Gingerbread won't stop Sense

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
kaqx5g.jpg

A common complaint of Android (from Cupcake to FroYo) is that the UI is plain. Another, is that the OS is difficult to navigate. We all know that Google's next version of Android, "Gingerbread," will try to remedy these issues with a complete UI overhaul. This will hopefully give the user a more aesthetically-pleasing and simpler experience with Android. And due to Android's fragmentation issues, Google's goal will be for all Android handsets to eventually be running the same version of their OS. So, where does HTC stand on the future of Android? Will the changes in Gingerbread drive HTC to abandon Sense? Not at all, according to Drew Bamford, head of HTC's user experience design team.

In a sit-down with Forbes, Bamford explains that "Google's tweaks" won't affect future implementation of Sense:

Google, too, has indicated that it wants to make the next (3.0) version of Android more polished and user friendly. Industry observers have speculated that manufacturers like HTC will make fewer alterations on their Android phones as a result. Bamford, however, says he doesn’t expect Google’s tweaks, which are scheduled to debut before the end of the year, to affect his work. “Google may focus more on improving the user interface on the stock Android [software], but I don’t think they’ll preclude manufacturer customization,” he explains.

Bamford goes as far as to say that Gingerbread won't affect manufacturer customization in general, and HTC fully expects to implement Sense on future Android devices. Disappointed? Let us know.

via Droid-Life
Source: Forbes

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no, if a fancy gui means less power for other things I'm not interested.
If it is snappy and still customizable then I'm ok with it. I mean, if you can toggle it on and off, then then I'm ok with it. Options are cool.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Maybe they should stop embedding Sense into the software so much. Just simply make the widgets .apks and the Sense UI a separate launcher.apk. Wouldn't that make porting to devices to update that much easier?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should stop embedding Sense into the software so much. Just simply make the widgets .apks and the Sense UI a separate launcher.apk. Wouldn't that make porting to devices to update that much easier?

the only problem here, is that HTC Sense widgets/launcher would be pirated easily...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't get all the complaints about the stock look. I change the wallpaper and mostly good to go. I don't really even notice the fonts and that "awful" task bar white. To each his own, I just don't get how some people get so worked up over "VERIZON" at the top of the task list, for example. I had never even noticed that until I saw someone here complain about it.

Spotmark

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer Sense. I think it's well thought out, and well laid out. I don't see it as hindrance at all.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It's a hindrance when it comes to the timeliness of updates.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Spotmark

Reaction score

"Supposedly", the Incredible is slated to Froyo, sometime in the next few week. How is that behind the curve?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

"Supposedly", the Incredible is slated to Froyo, sometime in the next few week. How is that behind the curve?
Emphasis on supposedly. In the past it has delayed updates, if that changes then that's great. I still prefer vanilla android though.

JesseDegenerate

Reaction score
no, if a fancy gui means less power for other things I'm not interested.
If it is snappy and still customizable then I'm ok with it. I mean, if you can toggle it on and off, then then I'm ok with it. Options are cool.

A super fancy gui shouldn't really make a modern smartphone sweat. Once android takes steps to fix one of it's bigger flaws (lack of hardware accelerated OS) You should be able to run alot of bigger, better modifications. ie:

5176485819_a4d126d36d.jpg

sadly the live weather is smoother on the iphone. (as is everything) However, i love the Sense UI. (as you can tell)