HTC Droid Incredible Not Getting Gingerbread?

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
dinc.jpg
The Droid Incredible has had many ROMs with Gingerbread released in the past months, but it seems HTC isn't planning on any official update. This news comes from an HTC rep that says the phone's update to Gingerbread has been canceled. This comes as a shocking headline because we've seen many different Gingerbread builds being released for the Verizon Droid Incredible 1, and now we might not get anything from HTC.

We're still hoping to hear something official from the company, but in an e-mail conversation with one Incredible user who was inquiring about the update's status, a rep wrote, "we only update our phones if it will provide an overall improved user experience as we balance features, performance and usability. Because of this, we will only be updating certain phones to Gingerbread. At this time, the Droid Incredible is not on that list."

So now it seems like HTC is going back on almost all their promises. What do you think?
Via: Pocketnow

Last edited by a moderator:

zwegan

Reaction score
Based on how horrible the D1 performed after the FROYO update, I can't say I blame them.

There is a big difference between a gingerbread mod and one released by the company.

The mods don't have to support all the bloatware and sense/wiz/blur.

People who really want gingerbread on their incredible have ways of getting it.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
when it was announced that the desire wouldn't get it....this shouldve been obvious..

Detonation

Reaction score
Understandable...we deal with a lot of instability/bugs when using custom roms, and solve the problems ourselves among the community. A 50 year old, non tech savvy Mom is not going to be able to the same, and the burden falls on Verizon/HTC support. So if they can't push something out that is as stable as the current software, other improvements or not, most people will see it as a downgrade. Perfect example, one of my friends just upgraded her Atrix to the OTA GB, and I told her it would be faster and get better battery life, but she hated it, only because they changed all the colors and icons.

None the less... disappointing for Incredible users.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What's the reason? It's not like the Incredible can't handle GB. Wasn't there a HTC phone that wasn't getting GB but people complained and it happened?

riko540

Reaction score
Understandable...we deal with a lot of instability/bugs when using custom roms, and solve the problems ourselves among the community. A 50 year old, non tech savvy Mom is not going to be able to the same, and the burden falls on Verizon/HTC support. So if they can't push something out that is as stable as the current software, other improvements or not, most people will see it as a downgrade. Perfect example, one of my friends just upgraded her Atrix to the OTA GB, and I told her it would be faster and get better battery life, but she hated it, only because they changed all the colors and icons.

None the less... disappointing for Incredible users.

Disappointed but I agree with the above statement.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont get it...GB for the Droid X1 is nice. Both phones have 1Ghz cpu's 512MB ram..

What's the reason? It's not like the Incredible can't handle GB. Wasn't there a HTC phone that wasn't getting GB but people complained and it happened?

Is it Sense UI? If so...all the hate folks throw at Blur....lol

I remember an article where a carrier asked for it to be removed so customers could get GB on their HTC phone. Stunning move I didnt know was possible.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Based on how horrible the D1 performed after the FROYO update, I can't say I blame them.

There is a big difference between a gingerbread mod and one released by the company.

If you mean the Droid 1..

Froyo made my Droid 1 a new phone. GB for the Droid X1 did the same thing. I know everybody dont have the same experiences...but I dont think Froyo was bad for the Droid 1. Bad for some, not all. Same for GB for the DX1.

GB for the Droid 1....thats another story...lol.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess I can't speak to stock Froyo, but Sapphire was beyond awesome on D1.