HTC Droid DNA Rooted Prior To Release!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

We are still a week away from the release of the Droid DNA on Verizon and the device has already been rooted! Not only has it been rooted but it has also already received custom recovery! This paves the way for Rom development on this beast of a phone. The method relys on the fact that the bootloader is still unlockable via HTCDev which could possibly be changed once the phone is released.

To Root you will need to first unlock via the HTCDev bootloader unlock utility, then you will flash the unsecure kernel in fastboot, flash clockwork mod recovery, then boot into recovery and flash the root.zip file.

The whole process is actually not that difficult. You can find all the files you need and full instructions at the source link below!

Via XDA

geoff5093

Reaction score
I assume that you void the warranty when you unlock it via HTCDev though right?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assume that you void the warranty when you unlock it via HTCDev though right?
Once you unlock the phone through the HTC Dev, you automatically void your warranty, you sign a disclaimer that you know that your warranty is void one you unlock the boot locker.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I can't imagine a scenario where that wouldn't void the warranty. I would bet my last dollar that it would.

Once you unlock the phone through the HTC Dev, you automatically void your warranty, you sign a disclaimer that you know that your warranty is void one you unlock the boot locker.
I know that unlocking and rooting your phone voids the warranty, but usually you can restore it back to factory defaults with S-ON and they would never know. When you unlock in on HTC's website, does it ask for your phone information so they have on record that it was unlocked?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, their tool askes you to launch a CMD shell and type in a command via ADB to get your phone's unique code, so that you can copy and paste it into their website and then they email you the unlock code that is unique to that phone.

So they know that that particular phone has been unlocked, and you clicked that you agree that you are aware that you are voiding your warranty.

IMHO, I think it should only void the warranty if you brick it. If the screen cracks or a button falls off, it obviously has nothing to do with an unlocked bootloader.

Just voiding it entirely is like putting in an aftermarket set of speakers in your car. Maybe it voids the radio warranty because you could short something out, but if you throw a rod or the transmission falls out, it is clearly unrelated...

geoff5093

Reaction score
Yes, their tool askes you to launch a CMD shell and type in a command via ADB to get your phone's unique code, so that you can copy and paste it into their website and then they email you the unlock code that is unique to that phone.

So they know that that particular phone has been unlocked, and you clicked that you agree that you are aware that you are voiding your warranty.

IMHO, I think it should only void the warranty if you brick it. If the screen cracks or a button falls off, it obviously has nothing to do with an unlocked bootloader.

Just voiding it entirely is like putting in an aftermarket set of speakers in your car. Maybe it voids the radio warranty because you could short something out, but if you throw a rod or the transmission falls out, it is clearly unrelated...
Yeah, now I really need to think for a while to see if it's worth to do, or maybe they will have another root exploit that doesn't require you to unlock the bootloader. I'd hate for the phone to malfunction (unrelated to unlocking), and have them refuse to fix it.