HTC Droid DNA IS Locked Down Tight At Release!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

Lots of folks have been receiving their Pre-Ordered Droid DNA's in the mail today. Of course like the good Modders that they are they plugged that bad boy directly into the PC and headed to the HTC Dev site in hopes of Unlocking the bootloader on there shiny new device. Come to find out as expected Verizon has blocked the ability to use HTC Dev to unlock the bootloader of the Droid DNA. Really this comes as no surprise even though there have been reports of pre-release phones being unlocked using the tool it was assumed that Big Red would have the device fully locked by release day.

All that being said this is not the end of development for this device. In fact the device has never had S-Off and that was already being worked on. Developers like DSB have said that S-OFF will likely still come to this device, with a fully permanent root method as well. Other developers like Hashcode have said that other solutions like 2nd init could be implemented on this device to bypass the bootloader altogether.

Has this affected your decision to purchase this Beast phone?

morpheousrx

Reaction score
images

Lots of folks have been receiving their Pre-Ordered Droid DNA's in the mail today. Of course like the good Modders that they are they plugged that bad boy directly into the PC and headed to the HTC Dev site in hopes of Unlocking the bootloader on there shiny new device. Come to find out as expected Verizon has blocked the ability to use HTC Dev to unlock the bootloader of the Droid DNA. Really this comes as no surprise even though there have been reports of pre-release phones being unlocked using the tool it was assumed that Big Red would have the device fully locked by release day.

All that being said this is not the end of development for this device. In fact the device has never had S-Off and that was already being worked on. Developers like DSB have said that S-OFF will likely still come to this device, with a fully permanent root method as well. Other developers like Hashcode have said that other solutions like 2nd init could be implemented on this device to bypass the bootloader altogether.

Has this affected your decision to purchase this Beast phone?

Wow...HTC will not get a set of ballz and tell VZW to go ESAD. Yes I will definately NOT be purchasing this phone now....Nice move HTC!!!...FAIL

bluefire7002

Reaction score
Sometimes I just want to walk into verizon throw my phone at them and flick them off! and walk out...

maybe when my contract expires :happy3:

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Effects my immediate purchase. I was thinking of picking one up during the weekend, but now I'll wait until I see where the development is going. Definitely don't want to get stuck with a locked down phone, especially when coming from a GN.

HTC phones usually have amazing development support, so hopefully this doesn't effect us too much.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the Note 2 when it comes to Verizon so I'll be getting that bootlocked device rather than this one.

tumblr_md4vv7VWfm1qjinow.gif

t0k3ndr01d

Reaction score
No, this does not and would never stop me from purchasing this device. The one thing that keeps me from returning my maxx hd and getting this is the battery HTC decided to go with... disappointing.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
To be honest, you really don't need S-Off, so as long as they can unlock the Bootloader, you can do pretty much whatever you want with the phone. Install custom Recovery, ROM's, mods and kernels... Don't need S-Off for any of that, just the bootloader...

geoff5093

Reaction score
As long as I have access to root I'm happy for a while, but I really wanted to be able to swap in SIM's to access GSM when needed.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way Verizon is going to ever remotely care or think about changing their stance is if they lose customers. If you stick with Verizon despite your dislike of these practices, nothing will change.

My company switched me over to AT&T and despite my initial misgivings, it's been more than fine - in fact, the LTE speeds are much greater, probably because their network isn't nearly as loaded as VZ.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
No, this does not and would never stop me from purchasing this device. The one thing that keeps me from returning my maxx hd and getting this is the battery HTC decided to go with... disappointing.
Battery life is surprisingly good according to some early reviews.