HTC and Google Sign 3-Year Exclusive Nexus Smartphone Deal [Rumor]

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was hoping for a Sammy Nexus. Bah humbug.

Kudos to HTC though. They need all the help that they can get. Hopefully this will make them relevant again.
I don't know if we will ever see another Samsung nexus. The last nexus was so bad Google later denied it being a nexus and started pointing fingers at Samsung. Plus right now Samsung don't need the push of a nexus line to boost sells. For Samsung a nexus would be a waste of time, money, and, resources.
The only way I could see Samsung making another nexus would be out of pride to prove that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was a fluke. But even then why, other than diehards most people dont even know that Samsung made a nexus so no harm no foul there.

Of course I left out that Samsung believes that part of their selling point of their phones are the software experiences. They are not going to want to release a device without it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I don't know if we will ever see another Samsung nexus. The last nexus was so bad Google later denied it being a nexus and started pointing fingers at Samsung. Plus right now Samsung don't need the push of a nexus line to boost sells. For Samsung a nexus would be a waste of time, money, and, resources.
The only way I could see Samsung making another nexus would be out of pride to prove that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was a fluke. But even then why, other than diehards most people dont even know that Samsung made a nexus so no harm no foul there.

Of course I left out that Samsung believes that part of their selling point of their phones are the software experiences. They are not going to want to release a device without it.

I had a galaxy nexus and the only saving grace for it was that it was unlocked and you could flash anything you wanted on it other than that it was a piece of garbage.

I went with the one m8 because of the promise of the 90 day updates. I have been happy with the hardware and have never had any problems with battery I can take it off the charger when I wake up and put it on the charger when I go to bed with 20 % on it still and that is even with using waze to go back and forth to work.

But I will never buy another verizon or htc product ever again once this phone dies and contract ends in june. I want to just get a pure or something else that isnt bound to any one carrier so I can flip between networks and see which one works best for me at the cheapest price, I'm sick and tired of htc and verizon in general locking down the phone so tight you cant do anything with it and paying outrages prices for updates that seem to take forever to come.

And now with HTC getting the nexus .. boy are they going to be screwed when it comes to updates.

Please bookmark this post to refer to when I come back and tell you I told you so!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google is in charge of Nexus updates. Not the manufacturer. Kind of the point of Nexus phones.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
^ this.

With a nexus you can either wait for Google to send it via ota or flash the factory image they load to the site. If you had a nexus and flashed Roms, manual updates will be easy.

Also nexus phones are unlocked so you can use it on any carrier.

Remember what many of us said about Huawei when they were first announced as the manufacturer and now they are known for making the best nexus to date. So far the nexus phones continue to get better every year. It will be interesting to see if HTC can continue the trend.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why do people keep judging HTC off one phone? The Thunderbolt was during a time where Android as a whole wasn't very good. Each manufacturer has had crappy devices, Motorola and Samsung included. Look at the GNex, and the RAZR devices, Motorola almost went down HTCs current path because they couldn't quit shelling out phones or establish an identity. Though HTC hasn't been able to piece together a complete device, I still think they made some stout devices the last few years and like I said, with Google's direction, they may wow us all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why do people keep judging HTC off one phone? The Thunderbolt was during a time where Android as a whole wasn't very good. Each manufacturer has had crappy devices, Motorola and Samsung included. Look at the GNex, and the RAZR devices, Motorola almost went down HTCs current path because they couldn't quit shelling out phones or establish an identity. Though HTC hasn't been able to piece together a complete device, I still think they made some stout devices the last few years and like I said, with Google's direction, they may wow us all.

I disagree. The og droid, droid x were great phones. HTC has messed up more than one phone.

Incredible, rezound, thunderbolt....

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I only said the RAZR devices, the Droid and Droid X were great. Those I knew with the Rezound or the D Inc. had no issues with them.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
HTC has been known for holding back on their cameras. It was the only reason that I didn't go with the M8.

Hopefully with great camera tech readily available they won't hold back anymore.

Look at what Huawei brought to the table with their Nexus. That's how it is done.

Even if Samsung never makes another Nexus it looks like the Nexus family has finally matured on the hardware side if they continue the trend that Huawei demonstrated on their end.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Google is in charge of Nexus updates. Not the manufacturer. Kind of the point of Nexus phones.

That's what they said about the galaxy nexus.. I know, I had one. It was released in December of 2011.. Google dropped support in less than 4 months (Feb 2012) when verizon refused to play nice and would not release the radio to them claiming patent infringement or something along that line. The only way it got timely updates was its one saving grace was that it was unlocked and could be rooted. The devs updated it faster than google or verizon.

If you want to read some of my previous post about the galaxy nexus go ahead ..I had lots to complain about. Bad battery life, a screen that would crack if you looked at it the wrong way, sound was awful. you name it there was a whole lot of bad about it....but it's a nexus amirite? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
That's what they said about the galaxy nexus.. I know, I had one. It was released in December of 2011.. Google dropped support in less than 4 months (Feb 2012) when verizon refused to play nice and would not release the radio to them claiming patent infringement or something along that line. The only way it got timely updates was its one saving grace was that it was unlocked and could be rooted. The devs updated it faster than google or verizon.

If you want to read some of my previous post about the galaxy nexus go ahead ..I had lots to complain about. Bad battery life, a screen that would crack if you looked at it the wrong way, sound was awful. you name it there was a whole lot of bad about it....but it's a nexus amirite? :rolleyes:

BTW if anybody wants to buy that piece of **** nexus I have my third replacement in the box with about 4 batterys. I'll take any fair offers.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You guys can't really compare Huawei with htc. One is on the verge of bankruptcy and the other is largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world. I'll let you figure out which is which ;)

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I think we can agree though, those days are over.

Not really... VZW still has it bad habits of making promises and not following through after building up hype for a phone take the most recent one, the HTC A9 unlocked.

VZW just recently threw that one right in the crapper after about a year of hype but that was only after letting HTC take pre-orders and collecting people's money. Now they are having to make refunds on a product that didn't even make it through complete testing on VZW's network.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm referring specifically to Nexus phones.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was curious about all of us on here about where we stood a year ago when the rumor of Huawei was making the next Nexus. Now I remember I was skeptical. But hey let's take a look down memory lane shall we.

Huawei Could Be the Next Nexus Smartphone Maker