HQ AUDIO OUT for DROID X

Verastarr

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea if we can get digital audio out from the HDMI for playback of audio files or Pandora ?

I am fully aware of the analog out (headphone jack) but that means we use the crappy DAC onboard the unit. I wish to use an audiophile DAC to send the analog to my vacuum tube high end system from the Droid X. Wadia already makes something for the gaypod just like everyone, but I want to use the DROID X as a source for my HE audio system.

Would something like a mini HDMI to USB cable work somehow for use with a USB DAC ?

Anybody know how to get digital audio off this thing ??

Thanks

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
You want digital audio out for the low bitrate internet streaming service Pandora? Isn't that like saying you want digital coax out of your clock radio?

OP
V

Verastarr

Reaction score
Sort of, although there is more to digital audio quality than bitrate. Jitter has a huge impact, and jitter is controlled by a master clock circuit using a low jitter oscillator which the Droid X does not have. The DAC also has a huge impact as far as digital glare is concerned. Crappy, miniature DAC circuits sound horrible. So Yes, if I could get a digital out, I could get much better sound than the headphone jack could ever provide.

I am not trying to compare the MP3 compressed files to a dedicated CDP or Vinyl. Just trying to turn crap into crap salad with all the trimmings.

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
I just tried to play Pandora through my office TV using the Micro-HDMI out without success, not sure if there is an option I am missing though, but I don't think it is set up to work that way.

I've been in commercial AV for a number of years (CTS, CTS-D certified) and I've never heard of digital glare, could you fill me in?

suzook

Reaction score
I just tried to play Pandora through my office TV using the Micro-HDMI out without success, not sure if there is an option I am missing though, but I don't think it is set up to work that way.

I've been in commercial AV for a number of years (CTS, CTS-D certified) and I've never heard of digital glare, could you fill me in?

Only way to get sound from pandora through the hdmi...is run pandora..then go to the gallery and play pics....the sound is awful...it sounds better using the headphone jack. I dont know what MOTO did with the sound of the hdmi out...but it blows big time, and defeats the purpose of the hdmi dock.

OP
V

Verastarr

Reaction score

Hi Thirdwheel, Digital glare is a side effect of the conversion process, and can be best described as fatiguing. Normal digital playback has lots of nasties that vinyl or tape does not. I am from the High End tweaky part of the audio industry, and we get a little weird when it comes to our sound.

I wonder if one of you smart hackers can get the Droid X to output digital audio out from the HDMI. It seems like its gonna take a hacker to get it done.. I'll put up $100 for someone who can make my Droid X output digital audio from the HDMI to something useable for a high end DAC like USB, SPDIF or AES/EBU. Extra points for ST Digital fiber.
In fact, if someone can design a conversion piece that has a HDMI in and one of the aforementioned protocols out, and it works with Droid X, I will buy the design for $1,000.

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
I know of a product right now that will take HDMI in and output HDMI + SPDIF + Analog stereo, and it's about the size of two decks of cards. Do I get $100 just for sending you a link? That would make my day.

Sectime

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea if we can get digital audio out from the HDMI for playback of audio files or Pandora ?

I am fully aware of the analog out (headphone jack) but that means we use the crappy DAC onboard the unit. I wish to use an audiophile DAC to send the analog to my vacuum tube high end system from the Droid X. Wadia already makes something for the gaypod just like everyone, but I want to use the DROID X as a source for my HE audio system.

Would something like a mini HDMI to USB cable work somehow for use with a USB DAC ?

Thanks
Audiophile and gaypod :)

baniels

Reaction score

Thanks

Subscribed. I am wondering the same thing. Not so much to play Pandora, but to play music stored on the sd card.

Thanks
Audiophile and gaypod :)

Thanks for your contribution.

Kandiru

Reaction score
Nice to see there are some audiophiles on this board.

For bit for bit streaming you get a separates system with an HDMI 1.2 or above processor and a SACD (super audio CD) player.

Then DSD (direct stream digital), aka 100% losless streaming comes alive.

The rest are all compressed formats, DTSHD-MasterAudio about the closest you can get to it.

Last edited:

baniels

Reaction score
Nothing to argue with there, really. The only music I've purchased over the last several years has been DVD-A and SACD.

Not sure what that has to do with the discussion though.

Nice to see there are some audiophiles on this board.

For bit for bit streaming you get a separates system with an HDMI 1.2 or above processor and a SACD (super audio CD) player.

Then DSD (direct stream digital), aka 100% losless streaming comes alive.

The rest are all compressed formats, DTSHD-MasterAudio about the closest you can get to it.

OP
V

Verastarr

Reaction score
Thanks Thirdwheel, I saw some stuff yesterday on the web when I googled "HDMI to SPDIF" ...so it looks like the hardware for protocol conversion exists.
It would be nice to know if it passes 24/192 as well as 96/24. Either way, we have the hardware.
Now we need to see if we can get the audio files to play and output to the HDMI....

I do not have the mini HDMI cable... can anyone play their music through HDMI to the TV ??

OP
V

Verastarr

Reaction score
Thirdwheel, I only have troll taint right now, but perhaps you can provide a link for Unicorn. lol. I have unobtanium out the yinyang tho....

HOLY CRAP ! That dang Extron piece is $790 !!, plus its not available until the unofficial ship date of December 2010.

OK, back to the drawing board....