HowTo play 3gp voice? HowTo convert 2 mp3? VoiceRecorder or What?

Mel_3

Reaction score
I have the Voice Recorder free app and it seems to work great BUT it creates .3gp audio files... it seems.

- When I email a voice recording no one cal play the 3gp file on their PC.
- I emailed it to my regular pop3 and my associated Gmail account and tried to play the attachment on my Droid... but it won't do it.

Questions:
1 - Can you play 3gp audio recording email attachments on the Droid?
2 - Can you play any audio recording email attachment on the Droid? How? What?
2 - Is there an App or Widget that will record as mp3 and let me email?
3 - How do you play 3gp format on a PC?

Voice Recorder now has an App (donation upgrade) to convert 3gp to mp3 but the it is new and only has 3 reviews... so I'm looking for other options I think... but all suggestions and comments are encouraged.

Thanks for any help.

mikethewizz

Reaction score
VoiceRecorder

Mel,
I just used this app to record an important DRs visit yesterday. The appt was Re: my daughter and I needed to record it so my wife who had to be at another appt could hear what was said. The audio was 52 Mins in length. I wanted to play the audio on my PC so could bump up the volume. I had the same experience you had, emailed files would not play, file transferred directly from SD card would not play. I went on to purchase my first app in android market, the Voice recorder upgrade to "convert 3gp to mp3". purchase price was approx $2. It took about 5 mins to 'Convert the file' however no 3gp players on my PC would play the file back. All I got was a 52 min file of dead air. Later I realized that the conversion takes place on the DEVs server. I did not like the fact that I had to upload my personal audio to this DEVs server to process the conversion in the first place. Makes you wonder if he stores all the audio and can listen to peoples private records when ever he wants.

Needless to say, I am in the same boat as you now. Looking for a better voice recorder and mp3 or other transferable to PC audio format.

Anybody have any experience with some of the other voice recording apps?

Thanks

Mike

tgf

Reaction score
Save it to the hard drive then Play it back in iTunes , then for the future you can associate that file type with a player .

mikethewizz

Reaction score
3gp playback

tgf,
Thanks for the reply but my issue is not with playing 3gp file types. The file appears to have some additional encoding preventing you from playing it in anything other than Voice Recorder on the handset.

I have adobe Soundbooth and was unable to edit this file at all on PC. Very strange.

griz8791

Reaction score
You can email out your recordings in 3gp and let your recipient or recipients convert, or you can put software on the Droid to try to convert them into a format that will play with software your recipient already has.

In my case I am e-mailing the recordings to a secretary in a different city. We found her a free 3gp conversion program that converts these recordings to mp3, or .wav, and/or several other formats. Once she has done that she then transcribes them with her foot pedal and transcription program.

As part of that process I learned that 3gp, while definitely a hassle for your recipient, is good for the person on the phone because it yields a much smaller file for transmission than most other file formats. 3gp was developed specifically for mobile phone users, to keep audio and video file sizes small so they can be quickly and easily transmitted by e-mail or MMS. My own experimentation with converting the same audio to several different file formats bore this out. So the advantage to you of staying with 3gp is when you go to e-mail that file to somebody, 3gp won't tie your phone up during the send-receive as long as the more standard audio formats would.

Last edited:

billyidle

Reaction score
I have had this problem for years after support on the PC seemed to stop for 3gp, I'm amazed they're still using it without good ways to view them on your computer. Any chance you know the name of the software Griz? Every program I've found has not worked.

wcjeep

Reaction score
The older droids would record in 3gp. Dumb phones used to have no problem with 3gp. I have a pay program on my PC called audials . Not cheap. But it does convert just about anything to anything else.

PC usually needs a plug in to play anything 3gp. Might work in QuickTime with plug in?