HOWTO Install Any Droid 2 ROM on your R2-D2 Droid 2 and keep all the R2-D2 theme bits

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Thats what I did. I extracted the bootani-with-yellow, and placed the bootanimation.zip in the media folder. if i try to manually do it, it says it can not be completed. I placed the new boot ani in the full .zip package and tried to install it from clockwork, but that did not work either. Do i need to moutn /system before I do that?

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Ok, tried mounting /system in clockwork. That did it. sorry for being a knob. Now, I just need to get the lockscreen and Ill be all set. For somereason, metamorph wont apply it.

Reaction score
Thats what I did. I extracted the bootani-with-yellow, and placed the bootanimation.zip in the media folder. if i try to manually do it, it says it can not be completed. I placed the new boot ani in the full .zip package and tried to install it from clockwork, but that did not work either. Do i need to moutn /system before I do that?

You can't install bootanimation.zip file directly from within ClockworkMod Recovery because it's not an update ZIP file (that contains an update-script). But if I understand you correctly, you tried to place it into the appropriate directory in the "bootanimationmod" ZIP package that I made... in that case, yes, you have to mount /system before flashing it.

Just to make sure we're on the same page... did you copy bootanimation.zip into /system/media using Root Explorer, overwriting the old one? If that's what you did and it didn't work, try moving it to /data/local and see if it works.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this reply before I saw your latest post. Unfortunately, the R2-D2 lockscreen won't work in recent versions of Fission (or Liberty, and any other ROM that uses the AOSP lockscreen slider). At least not without extensive modification, which I haven't yet felt motivated to do.

hellmonkey

Reaction score
I need to get root explorer I think. I was unable to edit or even paste into the data folder. Im assuming its write protected or something. But I did get it working. I just repalced the boot animation in your full package with the updated one. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
I need to get root explorer I think. I was unable to edit or even paste into the data folder. Im assuming its write protected or something. But I did get it working. I just repalced the boot animation in your full package with the updated one. Thanks for the help.

If you don't have Root Explorer, how did you copy the file into /system/media in the first place? Unless, of course, you copied it to a different location, which would explain why it didn't work...

Of course, you got it to work, which is really all that matters...

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Well, I was not able to get the r2d2 lockscreen to work with metamorph, so I got widget locker, found a theme I liked and added in the Star Wars/R2D2 Icons. I like it.
screenshot_4.png

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Do you by chance know if widget locker supports animated bars? A light saber with a bit a pulsing glow/auro would be cool. I was thinking about making the thrust on the mil falcon a gif, but I have no idea if that would work or not. Im still trying to figure out how to make themes. All I did was make some icons and rename them.

Reaction score
Do you by chance know if widget locker supports animated bars? A light saber with a bit a pulsing glow/auro would be cool. I was thinking about making the thrust on the mil falcon a gif, but I have no idea if that would work or not. Im still trying to figure out how to make themes. All I did was make some icons and rename them.

No animation, unfortunately. But go ahead and take my theme apart and see if that helps you figure it out.

hellmonkey

Reaction score
So, from what I can gather, widget locker just takes bar and stretches it from the side instead of just reveal more of the image, or can you use a longer bar and have show more as you drag?

Reaction score
So, from what I can gather, widget locker just takes bar and stretches it from the side instead of just reveal more of the image, or can you use a longer bar and have show more as you drag?

There are several different slider styles (each of which behave differently) that WidgetLocker supports; my Gingerblade theme is based on the Android style, which has a hidden portion that is revealed as you drag the slider across the screen. Only a part of the image is stretched as much as needed (in my case, only one pixel wide), and that part is indicated by a black line (or dot in my case) along the top of the image.

For more information about theming, check out the developer's official guide here.

banana_split

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new in this hacking stuff, but it sound interesting having a new custom rom

I have R2D2, is there a way to check my firmware version,
And if it is okay to install lberty 2.0 rom on my R2D2, if not, what requirement needed?dancedroid

Edit: I've alrdy rooted, with bootstrap, and backed up with titanium, :D

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new in this hacking stuff, but it sound interesting having a new custom rom

I have R2D2, is there a way to check my firmware version,
And if it is okay to install lberty 2.0 rom on my R2D2, if not, what requirement needed?dancedroid

Edit: I've alrdy rooted, with bootstrap, and backed up with titanium, :D

Personally, I SBF'd to 2.3.20 first, which is the latest over-the-air update for the regular Droid 2. But others have reported success flashing Liberty right over stock R2-D2. So go ahead and try it... but make sure you make a backup first in case you don't like it!

smccloud

Reaction score
minaldrichgan, I'm trying to apply your R2D2-bootanimationmod.zip in Clockwork mod, but its not applying the boot animation even after mounting /system (& /sdcard for good measure). Any ideas on what could be wrong? I'm running Liberty 2.0.1

smccloud

Reaction score
Got it figured out, your zip puts bootanimation.zip in /system/media and the Liberty people put theirs in /data/local.....