Howdy

SwampDog35

Reaction score
Just signed up for the forums and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Chad from New Orleans. My wife and daughters gave me a Samsung Captivate for Christmas. I was debating on if I should leave ATT and switch to Verizon before hand. Now I think my wife made that decision for us.... Anyway. I'm loving the new phone. Haven't played with it as much as hoped for. Just to be sure..... A Captivate is considered a Droid phone right? I know it sounds noobish.... Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Samsung Captivate is an AT&T Android phone. It is not considered a "Droid" but that's really just a brand name.

It uses the Android system, I think yours is 2.1 so expect an upgrade in the near future. From what I can see it's a nice phone.

Now the only problem with all of this is staying with AT&T, that you're kind of stuck with. We deal primarily with Verizon phones but are willing to discuss any Android phone. The majority of us feel that AT&T's coverage is pretty bad and that Verizon's network is the best one out there.

So in other words you have a good phone, but good luck getting a signal if you go outside your area.

I personally feel my phone has to be a Droid, many will take exception to that but some folks like Fords, some like a Chevy. :) Reality is that they really are the same OS, just whatever is uniquely different to the phone makes the difference.

Nice to have you on board here. Hope you can learn something about Android and your OS.

dasanman69

Reaction score
Its an Android phone but its not really a "Google" phone, meaning some of Google's integrated apps are missing.

OP
S

SwampDog35

Reaction score
Alright guys. With the New year almost here I have decided that one of my New Years resolutions will be to save more money. With that in mind I have returned my Captivate to ATT and switched to Verizon. It makes better since for the same and better coverage for less. Before my wife purchased my Cap.... I was paying $165 then add the $30 for data.... $195 for only one phone on data... WOW!

Verizon smoked that deal with the same stuff as above but for around $130 instead of the $195...

Anyway.. I;m very excited with my New Incredible... Love it so far. Hope I've made the right choice.