How to update to ICS without a service provider

djwendawg

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm beyond new to smartphones so please excuse my ignorance. I'm buying a Razr Maxx off eBay but it has GB and I need ICS for my international use (France next month). I don't have a service plan in the USA and want to know if there's a way to upgrade without it either here in the US or in France.
Also...how do I even check the OS it's running?

Thanks!
Wendy

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm beyond new to smartphones so please excuse my ignorance. I'm buying a Razr Maxx off eBay but it has GB and I need ICS for my international use (France next month). I don't have a service plan in the USA and want to know if there's a way to upgrade without it either here in the US or in France.
Also...how do I even check the OS it's running?

Thanks!
Wendy

To check your OS hit the "Menu" button (bottom left, 3 little lines) then hit "System Settings" then scroll down to the bottom and hit "About Phone" :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You should be able to update to ICS over WiFi. The update is pushed out by Motorola from their servers, not from Verizon, so a cellular account isn't necessary. Just connect to a WiFi network and go to Settings -> About phone -> System updates. If that doesn't work for some reason, then you can use the procedure that Sydman posted. But if you can, letting the phone do things itself will probably be easier. :)

Last edited: