How to turn off data push?

NeverEnough

Reaction score
There does not seem to be a place to turn data push off for my gmail. Is this possible? If not, anything else I can do? This is killing my battery life.

Setting /accounts
You can turn gmail sync off, but you will have to manually check your mail...
It's how I prefer it...
Save a ton of battery ...

----posted maxx'ed out----

I know on my old original droid I could turn crap like this off to save battery & still just refresh my gmail manually, but so far on the maxx I have to jump through hoops w/enable or disable data here then go back to gmail & manually refresh...

I know on my old original droid I could turn crap like this off to save battery & still just refresh my gmail manually, but so far on the maxx I have to jump through hoops w/enable or disable data here then go back to gmail & manually refresh...

I also like to refresh my gmail manually and what I did makes it easy imho

With sync enabled go into the settings/accounts/gmail and enable with the green check marks what you want sync (calender, gmail, contacts, etc.)

then you can go back and put a toggle sync on/off widget on a homepage (like for example the toggle power control widget on the phone), now all I have to do is press a single button to manually sync all the green check marked processes in my gmail and when I am done just press it again to turn sync back off

another easy way is to use the email app and manually sync your gmail inbox there

Last edited:
There does not seem to be a place to turn data push off for my gmail. Is this possible? If not, anything else I can do? This is killing my battery life.

Not to second guess you... but something else must be going on if you have the MAXX and feel Gmail is killing your battery. It has no noticeable effect on my battery. As a matter of fact, gmail never affected my OG battery either.

Agreed, push emails shouldn't be killing your battery, it takes minimal power to keep mobile data connected, and only a tiny bit of power to actually download an email. The notifications could be hurting, though. Vibration alerts take a ton of power, and audible alerts take a lot too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I do not put any restrictions of push of any data. Is one of the best things about the Razr Maxx. You can ot kill the battery with any type of normal function. Now if you watch videos all day long yes that will but normal useage includes watching some videos but not as a substitute for a video player of full length movies.

Back