How to Soft Reset on Droid 3

cistus

Reaction score
Hello,

A quick question. Is there any hot key to soft reset on Droid 3?
I heard it is Shift+Alt+Del for previous Droids but it does not work on Droid 3. Anyone knows?

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hello,

A quick question. Is there any hot key to soft reset on Droid 3?
I heard it is Shift+Alt+Del for previous Droids but it does not work on Droid 3. Anyone knows?

Thank you.

I may be wrong on this but on most phones, when someone uses the term soft reset, it usually just means a battery pull. I have never used the droid 3, but have used the d1, d2, d2g .. like I said, if I'm wrong I hope someone chimes in and corrects me.

jrcomito

Reaction score
Definitely the battery pull. Just got off the phone with tech support. Had to update roaming capabilities.

BusinessTroll

Reaction score
The og DROID and DROID2 had the ability to soft reset using shift+alt+delete. But i've tried every combo I can think of and this no longer works on the new DROID... I would use it all the time on my D1

JVSEDI

Reaction score
The og DROID and DROID2 had the ability to soft reset using shift+alt+delete. But i've tried every combo I can think of and this no longer works on the new DROID... I would use it all the time on my D1

Hi I used this all the time on my OG Doid and Droid 2........but it doesnt work on the Droid 3......bit of a disappointment because I have to remove a tight fitting cover before I can do a battery pull which is a pain......so much easier doing shift+alt+delete

spunker88

Reaction score

So the battery pull is the official way of soft resetting then. PDAs used to always have a soft reset button on them that was a lot more convenient than pulling the battery. Of course Windows Mobile required more soft resets than Android does, but it would be nice if there was a soft reset method that didn't involve tearing off the battery cover.

Reaction score
So the battery pull is the official way of soft resetting then. PDAs used to always have a soft reset button on them that was a lot more convenient than pulling the battery. Of course Windows Mobile required more soft resets than Android does, but it would be nice if there was a soft reset method that didn't involve tearing off the battery cover.

No, a the closest thing we have to a soft reset is turning the phone on and off via the power button. A hard reset is forcing the phone off without giving it a chance to shutdown properly (eg. Battery pull). There is no known soft reset right now for the droid 3. Although a few patches ago there was a random reboot issue that was actually soft resetting the phone at random intervals (system uptime still continuing).

Edit: after looking around for it I've noticed that many many MANY other people have this same misconception and also think that a hard reset is restoring to factory defaults. These phones are like mini-computers and use the same terminology. A hard reboot on a computer is when you hold the power button or yank the power cord out because you either had no time to soft reboot(warm boot, soft reset, god so many different terms for how the computer started up) or the computer wasn't responding. A softboot is when you click the restart/press the power button once(if configured to do so).

Restoring to factory defaults is just that... factory restore. Where all of this restoring = hard reset non-sense came from I have no idea.

Edit 2: since Android is linux based there's another soft reset ability that is basically everything except the kernal restarts(thus the system uptime continuing like in my example above).

-Saik0

spunker88

Reaction score
No, a the closest thing we have to a soft reset is turning the phone on and off via the power button. A hard reset is forcing the phone off without giving it a chance to shutdown properly (eg. Battery pull). There is no known soft reset right now for the droid 3. Although a few patches ago there was a random reboot issue that was actually soft resetting the phone at random intervals (system uptime still continuing).

Edit: after looking around for it I've noticed that many many MANY other people have this same misconception and also think that a hard reset is restoring to factory defaults. These phones are like mini-computers and use the same terminology. A hard reboot on a computer is when you hold the power button or yank the power cord out because you either had no time to soft reboot(warm boot, soft reset, god so many different terms for how the computer started up) or the computer wasn't responding. A softboot is when you click the restart/press the power button once(if configured to do so).

Restoring to factory defaults is just that... factory restore. Where all of this restoring = hard reset non-sense came from I have no idea.

Edit 2: since Android is linux based there's another soft reset ability that is basically everything except the kernal restarts(thus the system uptime continuing like in my example above).

-Saik0

Back in the PDA era a soft reset was used to reboot the device when it froze up. The reset button was not controlled by the OS like the power button, so a soft reset could be triggered even if the device was frozen up. This is similar to holding in the power button on a computer, the BIOS will shut off the computer even if the system is unresponsive. A quick press on a modern computer the power button sends the shut down signal to the OS and if its unresponsive this will get you nowhere.

Also, back in the PDA era it was common for some user data and installed programs to be located in the device RAM. This was the standard on Windows Mobile up until 2003SE. A hard reset, or leaving the battery out too long would wipe the RAM and when you booted the device it would go to a factory reset state. That is probably where the hard reset = factory restore came from.