Best taskiller for droid 3?

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Just a quick question, which is the best task killer app for the droid 3. I heard some don't work since the droid 3 has gingerbread. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

militant

Reaction score
I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that the consensus is with Gingerbread and above you do not need a task killer. As I understand it, Gingerbread will automatically sense when the system is low on memory if you are doing something memory intensive, and automatically kill other low profile things running to have the memory to do whatever it is you are trying to do. I will periodically check the built in task manager, and close anything running that I left open on accident.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Actually, a task killer hasn't really been necessary since Froyo. You're going to get a heck of a lot of people who will rake you over the coals for even asking about a task killer.

But I'm not one of those people. I think that when used properly, a task killer can be helpful in ending some CPU-intensive apps that for some reason didn't shut down properly. You don't want to go around autokilling everything every few minutes, because you'll definitely run into problems. But as long as it's not something you have running all the time, it's nice to have on the rare occasion that something just won't shut down (or if the phone starts getting sluggish). For things like that, the Droid 3 has one built in called Task Manager. You really don't need to download a separate app. Sure most on the market have more features, but a lot of those features will lead to more problems.

pyro6128

Reaction score
+1.

People like to say that task killers aren't necessary, but most of the time theyre thinking of autokilling and improper usage. On my d3, the ton of verizon bloat tends to slow it down at times. I just hit the task killer widget (with the proper apps excluded), and the phone is immediately faster for whatever I need. People will say "oh but the apps will just open up again". Which is true, but if they want to open and run in my pocket, thats fine. Its when they all try to hog resources that they need to be killed. Its not necessary all the time, but when it is, I'm glad I have the task killer. Now once we can remove the bloat, thats a different story.

Edit: To answer your original question, I use https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller&hl=en

Once you set it up to exclude the proper apps and only target the ones you want, the widget becomes super useful. One tap and your phone instantly speeds up

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
The article posted by penguin to me just highlights why bloatware that cannot be uninstalled is such an awful awful (did I mention awful) decision, especially if some of this bloatware have services associated with them.

While it may not use much memory, updating the service does take power and will contribute to reduced battery life.

I also agree with what sweetness and pyro said. Misuse of a task killer can lead to very undesirable effects, but good use of it can be very helpful.

phonixzero

Reaction score
I would like to add that there is a built in taskiller called Task Manager. Should be in your app list but, you really shouldn't need one.