How to setup Yahoo IMAP mail on droid

Reaction score
Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off

1. Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)
  2. Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password
  3. Press “Manual Setup” in the lower left hand corner
  4. For “Incoming Server Settings” set the IMAP server to “imap.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 143
  5. For “Outgoing Server Settings” set the SMTP Server to “smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com” and the Port to 587
  6. Check “Require sign-in” and press Next
  7. Select how often your phone will check for Email, and choose default options
  8. Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages
I would like to ask a mod to please sticky this in the FAQ thread

zasran

Reaction score
With Android 2.1 you can just go to accounts, create new account, put in your yahoo email address and password and that's it. No need for manual setup.

ero

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With Android 2.1 you can just go to accounts, create new account, put in your yahoo email address and password and that's it. No need for manual setup.

ero

He's right. These were the instructions for Yahoo on the 2.0.1 version. I have a set myself:

How to set up Yahoo! IMAP email (non-root solution)

This does not require Yahoo! Plus Mail, the paid service of Yahoo! mail.
1. From the home screen, pull up the applications tab (at the bottom of the screen)
2. Touch Email
3. Touch Manual Setup at the bottom left corner

- Select the IMAP option
4. In the incoming server settings, enter the details as follows:
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address)
Password: enter your yahoo password
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 143
Security Type: None
IMAP Path Prefix: leave blank
5. Touch next to continue to SMTP Server Settings and enter the details as follows:
SMTP: smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 587
Security Type: None (Checkmark “required sign-in”)
Username: [email protected] (enter your complete yahoo email address again)
Password: enter your yahoo email password again
6. Touch Next
7. Fill out your personal information (Name etc.)
(If you are having problems be sure that WiFi is OFF then try again
)

The issue is reportedly resolved with the 2.1 update.

Jill2813

Reaction score
Still Not Working

I got the 2.1 update and I still can't set up my yahoo. I have a ymail.com account. Could this be the issue. I keep getting a can't connect to the server.
Anyone know what i should do?:motdroidvert:

jdlaw21

Reaction score
Perhaps you could help clarify something for me. First, let me state that I am not a "technical" person. I have performed a number of searches within this website and others looking for a way to add Yahoo email accounts to my Droid. It seems that all instruction advises the user to set up Yahoo email through the email app on the phone. Would someone please answer the following questions:

1. Can Yahoo email be set up using the gmail app? If so, how?

2. What is the purpose of having an email and gmail app? Is it Google/Droid's intent to keep gmail separate from Yahoo?

3. Is there a Droid app that will allow someone to set up gmail, a POP account and a Yahoo (IMAP) account?

Thanks to anyone willing to answer.

zasran

Reaction score
1. Yahoo mail setup cannot be done in gmail app, you can do it in Email app (stock email app), in Email app click Menu button, Add account, then provide your email (whole email address, [email protected]) and password

2. Prupose of having both Email and Gmail apps - not clear, I guess google thinks they can provide better features in a Gmail specific app, or maybe that Gmail gets better visibility then

3. You can use gmail over IMAP, i.e. you can use stock Email app to access your gmail account, see http://gmail.com on instructions on how to access it over IMAP, you will lose some functionality though, e.g. being able to archive emails with one button.

ero

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I would be curious to know if any of you have encountered the 'Duplicate Items' issue with Yahoo mail. If I use the default mail app, the Droid will duplicate every item I send and delete in my mailbox. Checking the mailbox online will reveal hundreds of items.

This issue doesn't occur if I use k9mail.

dmstarr

Reaction score
possible yahoo imap solution

I found some more info on the IMAP settings, but as I am not a programmer, this discussion is becoming a bit confusing for me. Here is a link to where I got my settings

Incoming server: SSL set to always, authentication plain, port 993, IMAP path is automatic, Poll when connecting for push is checked and refresh IDLE is 29 minutes. (polling is off)

Outgoing Server: SMTP.Mail.yahoo.com, security none, port 587, require sign-in is checked, authentication plain

So far I am able to send email and it shows up on my gmail account right away. (there is a lag in the notification of a second or two however).

Sending back from gmail to sbcglobal.... not so much. shows up on my computer right away, but waited 5 minutes and then hit "Check Mail" before it showed up.

I know if you change the poll frequency that will allow the account to send mail, but I'm hoping for behavior similar to my gmail account, which does it automatically. Any suggestions?

Oh, and please don't ask me 'why don't you just use gmail?'. thanks!

earnric

Reaction score
FYI ... I got it to work under the Liberty ROM/default email using

SSL for BOTH inbound (imap.mail.yahoo.com) and outbound (smtp.mail.yahoo.com) ... Always use SSL and accept ANY certificate.

Earnric

mao_kong

Reaction score
Still had to do it the Annedroid way on a new Sensation:blink: , but just for one yahoo account I set up thru yahoo uk...