How to set default text app on lock screen?

georgemovie

Reaction score
How do I set the default text messaging app for the stock lock screen? I'm currently running Textra, but only the stock text messaging app shows up under the stock lock screen. I already cleared the defaults in both apps.

alcamedes

Reaction score
Well if your rooted then use TB, just freeze the stock text message app.

aarong03

Reaction score
How do I set the default text messaging app for the stock lock screen? I'm currently running Textra, but only the stock text messaging app shows up under the stock lock screen. I already cleared the defaults in both apps.

I'm rooted and I just froze the stock app with Titanium Backup. After that Handcent was on lock screen. But I pretty certain that if you're unrooted you should still be able to freeze the stock app.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
You can't disable the stock text messaging app. That disappeared with an earlier update. So did the ability to put a non-stock messaging app on the lock screen. If you are rooted that's another story.

OP
G

georgemovie

Reaction score
yeah, i'm not rooted so...

You can't disable the stock text messaging app. That disappeared with an earlier update. So did the ability to put a non-stock messaging app on the lock screen. If you are rooted that's another story.

yeah, i'm not rooted so no dice.

the only thing i can do is a force stop, which still leaves the default text messaging app on the lockscreen.

thanks for the info though!