How to Root Droid X and install free Wifi Hotspot

natchrl8r

Reaction score
I am getting a new Verizon DX on Friday. I am a complete virgin when it comes to programming/hacking. I've reviewed many forums and found many tools and I can follow simple instructions but there is so much my head is spinning. So this is what I want to do, put simply.

1) Root the droid
2) Back it up
3) Install a free hotspot program to back up my cable which my landlord is frequently messing up and to avoid the mb limitations of verizon.
4) Freeze unwanted background bloatware that will eat my battery and processing speed.

That's pretty much it. I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't want the hotspot for some possible future when I can stream my Netflix, etc to my monitor. How shall I proceed? Only other question is should I do this before or after activating the phone with VZ?

Thanks folks!

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
1)To root...DL Z4Root from here: AndroidSPIN » Z4 root brings one-click root to multiple devices

Then watch this video:
[video=youtube;OIoyvPJ6BB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=OIoyvPJ6BB8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ymdVLL1ioUc[/video]

2) To back up, DL Bootstrapper(for the X!) from the market, then follow this video:

[video=youtube;OIoyvPJ6BB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=OIoyvPJ6BB8[/video]

3) To get a hotspot just DL "Wireless Teather" from the market...
4) To get rid of bloat...read this Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

MOST IMPORTANT....If you think something is taking to long, or isn't working, DON'T PANIC!! Come back HERE and ASK FOR HELP! Don't do anything crazy like wiping stuff, and pushing random buttons, or yanking the batt out!

Good luck!

Edit: Video didn't embed...so I just posted a link. :(
Edit 2: These videos are by "XDroidRom" I don't recall what his name is on the forums....Sorry!

Last edited:
OP
N

natchrl8r

Reaction score
Thanks, Thunder

I'll check this all out tomorrow. BTW, my cat's name is Thunder. : )

OP
N

natchrl8r

Reaction score
Grrrrrrrr! You Tube won't let me view til I sign up for a google account. Why should I if I already have an established you Tube Account? I hate corporations!

OP
N

natchrl8r

Reaction score
This doesn't seem right. You tube works fine elsewhere but these links go directly to google sign-up for you tube. What is this?

black68gtx

Reaction score
Unable to start OG tethering, please try again

just install open garden and get this "Unable to start OG tethering, please try again" any ideas?
droid x, rooted

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
just install open garden and get this "Unable to start OG tethering, please try again" any ideas?
droid x, rooted

It states "This application requires a "rooted"-device and a custom-kernel which supports netfilter (iptables)!"

I don't think this is usable for the X. It uses Ad-Hoc connection anyway. "Wireless Tether" is a actual hotspot, not a Ad-Hoc. (On the X anyway :))

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Ok...really, there is no need to watch a video to learn how to root your phone and use a wireless tether app...

Ready..strap in, here we go...

1) Download "z4root"...I am sure you already have did this, as well as installed it...and maybe even already clicked the "Permanent Root" button. If not...do so now.

2) Once you download, install and Click the Perm Root button, be prepared to wait anywhere from 3-5 minutes for the rooting process to complete. If it does not complete and reboot your phone after 5-7 minutes, pop the back battery cover off and pull the battery out to shut the phone down. Then reboot the phone and again fire up z4root and click the Perm Root button...some DX`s are a bit flaky and need to go through this process a couple of times.

3) If the root process is completed properly, your phone should shutdown and reboot on its own. If it does, once its loaded back, open the App Drawer and see if there is a new APP Icon labeled "SuperUser"...should be a Pirate Skull Image..if its there, you are more than likely "rooted" now. But we can test this for sure in just a minute....

4) Go to the Market. Download Wireless Tether for Root Users. Install it.

5) Once installed, try to run the app...it should pop -up a box requesting Super user Access if you are in fact now rooted. If it doesnt, you will need to run z4root again and then re-try the tether app. If it does work...you are done other than setting up a password or changing the SSID on the Android tether if you chose too...

Too simple really...and again, no need to watch multiple videos of someone else doing it...

OP
N

natchrl8r

Reaction score
Do I download z4root directly to the phone or to my windows pc? Should I upgrade to froyo 2.2 first?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I always download to my PC first...just for the sake in my mind that I have a better, faster connection on my 18mb cable connection, then I transfer from there to my SD Card via USB Mas Storage Mode.

Personally, I would update if the update is out there OTA for your phone...meaning you have checked but just not accepted the download from Verizon yet. If not, then you may want to go visit maderschramms thread and have a look at his maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip
file..just about 1,2,3 for getting your Droid X up-to-date in one single motion...then root from there.

Make sure you read all the info in that thread if thats the route you decide to take..and if you have any question regarding that file, feel free to post them in that thread as maderscramm is good about helping people use his file...

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
2) Once you download, install and Click the Perm Root button, be prepared to wait anywhere from 3-5 minutes for the rooting process to complete. If it does not complete and reboot your phone after 5-7 minutes, pop the back battery cover off and pull the battery out to shut the phone down. Then reboot the phone and again fire up z4root and click the Perm Root button...some DX`s are a bit flaky and need to go through this process a couple of times.

Or simply try to backout of the app by hitting the back button? Too easy maybe?? YANK THE BATT! YANK THE BATT! Anything goes wrong YANK THE BATT FIRST!!!!!! You might regret it later but yank it anyway! <End of sarcasm>

I let Z4root run for 10 mins....backed out...rebooted...and was rooted...No batt pull needed......Batt pull should be a last resort IMO anyway...

Also, you are correct, you don't need a video. However, once you read a 1000 post on how to do it, it helps to SEE just how easy it is to do. The OP said they have been researching...watching it being done gives them a way to follow along and apply what they have already read. Again, my opinion...maybe I misread the OP...

Last edited:

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Or simply try to backout of the app by hitting the back button? Too easy maybe?? YANK THE BATT! YANK THE BATT! Anything goes wrong YANK THE BATT FIRST!!!!!! You might regret it later but yank it anyway! <End of sarcasm>

I let Z4root run for 10 mins....backed out...rebooted...and was rooted...No batt pull needed......Batt pull should be a last resort IMO anyway...

Also, you are correct, you don't need a video. However, once you read a 1000 post on how to do it, it helps to SEE just how easy it is to do. The OP said they have been researching...watching it being done gives them a way to follow along and apply what they have already read. Again, my opinion...maybe I misread the OP...

Yeah...ok...so what are you trying to get at exactly by demonstrating in such a way? :icon_eek::rofl3:

Sure, you can back out of z4root once it has started its processing...will it matter 1 way or the other? I dont know...but I do know that in every Droid X or D2 that I have had an issue rooting with z4root, only by doing a battery pull did I get it to actually finish and take root. Just my experience...

As far as watching videos goes...the OP stated he also was having a hard time getting said video links to work..therefore, in my opinion, it was better to just give him the easy-peasy steps in black and white rather than have him continue to get disparaged and overwhelmed...its not Rocket Surgery we`re doing here after all...:dry:

Z4root has shown its self to be pretty damn fool proof as far as its likelihood in "bricking" a DX or causing someone to have to SBF on its own...

In the end, its up to the OP to do what he feels is in his comfort zone...

black68gtx

Reaction score
wireless tether problem solved

I had grabbed the wrong app. I loaded wireless tether 2.0.06 for root users. Upon opening I got-
"Sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for the Access Control feature of this application. Access Control will be disabled"
What should I do to gain access to the "Access Control".
Short of that the wireless applcation works fine.

oakvad

Reaction score
Im using wireless teather for root users, and I have the same msg but it still works and I've used it a bunch. Sorry I know that's not an answer. Maybe someone else knows more