How to replace default messaging app on new rooted gingerbread leak?

daveywave

Reaction score
The topic says it all. i'm looking to replace the default blur messaging app on the newest deodexed rooted gingerbread leak. Looking to get that AOSP messaging app that comes in the standard 'vanilla' android.

I know it can't be too difficult and i'm pretty familiar with ADB... just like the toolbox does for apex, liberty, etc...

thanks!

bigshotrob22

Reaction score
The topic says it all. i'm looking to replace the default blur messaging app on the newest deodexed rooted gingerbread leak. Looking to get that AOSP messaging app that comes in the standard 'vanilla' android.

I know it can't be too difficult and i'm pretty familiar with ADB... just like the toolbox does for apex, liberty, etc...

thanks!
You can use terminal emulator to remove it.

Su
Cd system
Cd app
Rm conversations.apk

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

daveywave

Reaction score
thanks... still having difficulties finding the default gingerbread 2.3.3 messaging app.

i downloaded a couple stock roms and there is no messages.apk BUT there is a MMS.apk which is the only app that remotely sounds like a text messaging app. Unforunately the leaked Blur version out for our Droid X's does in fact have a Messaging.apk

so you are saying the conversations.apk is the actually text messaging app on our blur phones? hmmm... interesting... but what does the messaging.apk do?

bigshotrob22

Reaction score
thanks... still having difficulties finding the default gingerbread 2.3.3 messaging app.

i downloaded a couple stock roms and there is no messages.apk BUT there is a MMS.apk which is the only app that remotely sounds like a text messaging app. Unforunately the leaked Blur version out for our Droid X's does in fact have a Messaging.apk

so you are saying the conversations.apk is the actually text messaging app on our blur phones? hmmm... interesting... but what does the messaging.apk do?
You will replace it with the Mms.apk file from the froyo rom...I believe the messaging.apk is the messaging app in the app drawer that takes you to text messaging app.....

OP
D

daveywave

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch!

I took the plunge and removed the two conversations and messages.apk and replaced with the MMS.apk i found off a rooted 2.3.3 rom.

works great!

turdbogls

Reaction score
good for you...you are probably the only one that would go through all this trouble to get AOSP messaging app....you could have just used handcent and set it up like stock but had more options.

kman79

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch!

I took the plunge and removed the two conversations and messages.apk and replaced with the MMS.apk i found off a rooted 2.3.3 rom.

works great!
No problem!

Would you mind sharing the link or the name of the rooted 2.3.3 rom?

I'd also like to use the AOSP messaging app. I hate how the motorola messaging app does not allow to select not to delete old messages. The thousand messages limit is not enough for my use. Thank you

bigshotrob22

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch!

works great!
No problem!

Would you mind sharing the link or the name of the rooted 2.3.3 rom?

I'd also like to use the AOSP messaging app. I hate how the motorola messaging app does not allow to select not to delete old messages. The thousand messages limit is not enough for my use. Thank you

Droid x (2.3.3) Gingerbread - Deodexed and Rooted

complacent

Reaction score
fwiw, i downloaded the latest cm7 nightly (for the droid incredible) and used its mms.apk. so far it's worked like a dream. it has some nice features and options.

certainly much better than the stock blur app. :)

KilGil27

Reaction score
I installed the mms.apk from the Incredible cm7 rom. it works, but every time I try to go into the settings, it force closes :(

_banana

Reaction score
good for you...you are probably the only one that would go through all this trouble to get AOSP messaging app....you could have just used handcent and set it up like stock but had more options.

That was the first thing I did when I got my phone rooted. I like the AOSP messaging way more than handcent. The best one to grab is the one the one from Cyanogenmod; it has extra features. You could probably get their 2.3.4 one to work too.

z0mbiexx

Reaction score
i couldn't get one from any cyanogenmod nightlys to work either but i did pull the mms.apk from apex 2.0 beta and it works perfectly fine in Zombiestomped 1.7 settings and all :)