[How To] + [MOD] Animations for rubiX 1.8.9

humungus

Reaction score
[How To] + [MOD] Custom Transition Animations (UPDATED)

Watching the same transition animations over and over is boring. You can speed them up with Spare Parts or you can just shut them off entirely within settings. There is, though, a third road: change 'em.

These are videos of most of the transition animations packs (Drod's rubiX animation and Fab's animation mix have no videos at present).

Flip
[video=youtube;kPws_bpMjUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPws_bpMjUc]YouTube - Android Screen Transitions[/video]

Bounce
[video=youtube;j6A9M8mOkJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6A9M8mOkJg]YouTube - Samsung moment animations, bounce[/video]

Fold
[video=youtube;2bu9c2gbxGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bu9c2gbxGI]YouTube - Sbtwca[/video]

FlyIn
[video=youtube;275gRSvqaZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=275gRSvqaZw]YouTube - Samsung moment animations, fly in[/video]

There are two preferred ways to use these animations:

1. Add Animations Using Metamorph: should work for most roms. Thanks Haxzamatic!

Transition Animation MetaMorph Files - Transition Animations MetaMorphs

Note: there is no current MetaMorph file for Fab's mix (see below).

2. Manually Add Animations: should work for most roms

This process will be helpful for those wanting to mix and match animations from the folders. In fact, why don't you create your own mix and post it here so everyone else can appreciate your awesomeness. I'll add new mixes below if they come in.

1. Simply get ahold of the anim folder with the animations you want to use and the framework-res.apk from the rom you're interested in modifying (/system/framework/framework-res.apk).
2. Open up the framework-res.apk in 7zip (right click on it, and select "open archive").
3. Drag the anim folder with the animations (which you can download below) into /res folder in your framework-res.apk. This will replace the files currently in /res/anim.
4. Exit out of 7zip.
5. You now need to push the modified framework-res.apk onto the phone. You can do this by placing the modified framework-res.apk in the root sdcard folder, and entering the following into terminal emulator on your phone or using ADB when the sdcard is mounted:

su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot

If you're using terminal emulator, your phone will probably reboot before you finish re-mounting and/or typing reboot.

NOTE: This is taken almost wholesale from ronhova on XDA; s/he deserves the credit. Link To Original Post.

Since this process modifies your rom's framework-res.apk, it obviously won't work with other roms. Translation: don't take the framework you've just modified and try to put it on other roms. IF YOU DO THIS, YOU WILL DIE.

Animation Files: for manual addition

Bounce (Video above)

Flip (Video above)

Fly In (Video above)

Fold (Video above)

Drop In (from Drod's rubiX focused series) (No video)

Fly In and Flip Mix (from Fab's Apex) (No video)

Last edited:

sephtin

Reaction score
will this work with themes?

If you modify the theme's /res/anim folder, but leave everything else.. yes.

One other thing I would add, is it's beneficial to zipalign the framework-res folder after modifying it... Shouldn't be a huge performance hit if you don't.. but ...

OP
H

humungus

Reaction score

Sure, but you CANNOT use the framework files I uploaded; you have to insert the bare animation files into your themed framework using the above procedure.

Soapinmouth

Reaction score
this didnt work stilll drods animation :/ followed the steps exactly and used your premodified flip and halfway through remounting it restarted, but thats normal right?

the status bar turned white but animations didnt change.

Last edited:
OP
H

humungus

Reaction score
this didnt work stilll drods animation :/ followed the steps exactly and used your premodified flip and halfway through remounting it restarted, but thats normal right?

the status bar turned white but animations didnt change.

Yeah, Flip got hosed. I'm uploading proper versions for both rubiX releases.

And yes, your phone might very well reboot before you finish remounting/typing reboot. This is normal.

OP
H

humungus

Reaction score

If you modify the theme's /res/anim folder, but leave everything else.. yes.

One other thing I would add, is it's beneficial to zipalign the framework-res folder after modifying it... Shouldn't be a huge performance hit if you don't.. but ...

Good point, Sephtin. If you're running rubiX, you can zipalign your apks by pulling up terminal emulator and typing the following:

su
zipalign_apks

I think Drod said this might cause problems with certain themes, but hopefully it'll be fine with this ... let us know.

dadsterflip

Reaction score
does this work for like the droid eris? maybe? lol gonna try to put this on my friends phone. i know how to pull framework but not sure if its compatible with the 2.1 series?

jdhas

Reaction score
Coolest.

Thread.

Evar.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk