How to keep an app disabled even after app update?

LineUpEverybody

Reaction score
Device Info:
Hisense Sero 7 PRO
Android Version: 4.2.1
Kernel Version: 3.1.10
Build P756.02.20.00
Not Rooted.

I have a tablet for my son. I disabled both the stock browser and chrome. But when Chrome receives and update through the Play Store it re-enables itself. How can I stop individual apps from updating and/or preserve my disabled setting even after an app update?

I would like to still be able to use the Update All feature as well.

Is this possible?

Is it possible if I rooted the device?

Would an app killer set to kill off only the apps I don't want enabled work in a pinch? Then every once in a while I can double check that nothing has been enabled due to an update.

Any ideas welcome!

Thank you. :)

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Hi there LineUp! I think the only solution is to change the Google Play Store setting so you have to individually update each app. A PITA, I realize but it gives you as the owner greater control over the apps on your phone and prevents situations like you describe from occurring. As far as rooting your phone, I'm not sure that it would really change anything - (shrug) I'm not a technician. :) Anyway, hang around for a bit and see what some of our really knowledgeable members and staff have to say, in the area of solutions to your problem.

OP
L

LineUpEverybody

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I believe the idea you are suggesting is to turn on global Auto Update and then individually change the auto update setting for any apps that I want to be sure will not auto update, correct? But if he goes into the Play Store and clicks Update All the same problem will occur.

My goal was to stop apps that I disable from enabling themselves during an update (Chrome browser is the perfect example in this case).

Without a browser on the tablet there is no need to worry so much about inadvertent ad clicks and nearly unfettered access to the web.

That is why I was wondering if rooting the tablet and then somehow locking or freezing the apps that I do not want to run (even if they update). Would that work?

Bratster2

Reaction score
Yes, if you root you can use titanium backup to "freeze" apps you don't want.

Just be careful what you freeze, it will let you do anything. Including softbrick your device.

Sidebar: it sounds like you are trying to lock the device down more from accessing things you don't want.

If you leave the play store available, there's nothing stopping the person from getting another browser when chrome doesn't work.

OP
L

LineUpEverybody

Reaction score
Yes, I understand a 3rd party browser could be installed. Okay, I think I'm going to root it and then I'll have more options.

Thanks!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You'll need to pay for titanium in order to freeze. Any root browser will work also. Just rename the apps you want gone to "appname.apk.bak."

It will freeze them. To unfreeze them just remove the .bak. Same concept. Unless you don't mind paying, I personally love titanium.

Sent from my DE Moto X

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what I have done differently that causes mine to not offer, (from the Google Store updates) any update for any app I disabled, on any of my Google devices. I do have the auto updates and auto checking for updates turned off, but my 3 phones and one tablet are all otherwise stock.
In order for me to find what needs to be updated I need to bring up the Play Store and go to My Apps but I never see my disabled apps offered for an update.

OP
L

LineUpEverybody

Reaction score
lesshor, I wish mine worked like that. I guess it could be that none of your disabled apps have updates available...but...wait...when you disable an app it forces you to replace it with the factory version, which mean it will no longer be updated. So shouldn't it then immediately show up again in the list of available updates in Play Store?

I think I'm confusing myself here.

Is Chrome different than other apps?

For example...as a test I'm going to disable Hangouts. It made me replace it with the "factory version" and then it shows as disabled. When I go to the Play Store and refresh my apps list it does not show an update even though the app is not updated.

Am I going crazy here or are there some exceptions to this where sometimes, for some reason, disables apps get updated? I swear I had Chrome disabled and it offered an update and when updated it enabled again.

Now I'm a little confused.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I see one thing in your comment that may be key. I have also gone to disable apps in the app manager and it wanted to uninstall updates BUT after uninstalling the update it would then allow me to disable it.

Among those that are disabled and do not offer updates:
AT&T Smart WiFi
BlurbCheckout
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Newsstands
Yahoo News

And a handful of others I refuse to admit. ;)

OP
L

LineUpEverybody

Reaction score
Right, when I want to disable something I allow it to remove the updates and then it disables the app. Maybe I just made a mistake or something...

Could it be that if the update is special, like security related, it will override the disabled setting? I am so sure that I disabled Chrome on his tablet and then it showed up in the updates list. Just to be clear, he didn't touch the tablet in between when it was disabled and when it wanted to update.

He's 9 years old and he's not so savvy that he's poking around and trying to enable apps and stuff, at least not yet. It's one of those things...if I find him going behind my back, he gets a warning. Does it again, tablet is gone for a month. Does it again, tablet is mine.

Thanks again for trying to work through this. It would be great if I'm just making a mistake and disabling really does stop updates, it would mean there was never an issue in the first place and it was my error somehow.

P

promo87

Device Info:
Hisense Sero 7 PRO
Android Version: 4.2.1
Kernel Version: 3.1.10
Build P756.02.20.00
Not Rooted.

I have a tablet for my son. I disabled both the stock browser and chrome. But when Chrome receives and update through the Play Store it re-enables itself. How can I stop individual apps from updating and/or preserve my disabled setting even after an app update?

I would like to still be able to use the Update All feature as well.

Is this possible?

Is it possible if I rooted the device?

Would an app killer set to kill off only the apps I don't want enabled work in a pinch? Then every once in a while I can double check that nothing has been enabled due to an update.

Any ideas welcome!

Thank you. :)
Well, I think you might be forgetting that you are using the chrome which is Google product and you are running Google's Android, so the application can get itself back enable.... :) enough of the joking part ! Well, I am not getting the exact question you are trying to ask but, anyway if you feel the problem is with the update then head over to the playstore settings and disable the auto update feature. I not sure on this but I think this enabling an disabling process is because of the Google Play Service app ! :O