How to import contacts list from previous phone?

qurtrn10

Reaction score
I picked up my Incredible today, and after setting up my email account, and facebook account, the only thing left was to get the phone directory from the previous phone swapped over. I went to the Verizon store, and they were charging $20 to do it. They've done it for free before (when my older phone broke and I got a replacement), so I know they don't have to charge. I'm offended at the idea, so I left. I'll do it myself thank you very much.

Other than manually keying in each one, is there another way? On my PC, I have an Excel file with my entire phone directory in it as a backup. Is there a way to load it from that?

Thanks,
William

I think the last time I was on the phone with Verizon, they set me up with Backup assistant. Would that work for this?

validoption

Reaction score
I picked up my Incredible today, and after setting up my email account, and facebook account, the only thing left was to get the phone directory from the previous phone swapped over. I went to the Verizon store, and they were charging $20 to do it. They've done it for free before (when my older phone broke and I got a replacement), so I know they don't have to charge. I'm offended at the idea, so I left. I'll do it myself thank you very much.

Other than manually keying in each one, is there another way? On my PC, I have an Excel file with my entire phone directory in it as a backup. Is there a way to load it from that?

Thanks,
William

I think the last time I was on the phone with Verizon, they set me up with Backup assistant. Would that work for this?

I think you can just import your contacts into your gmail contacts through your PC, and then sync your phone to that gmail account and it should download the contacts. Worth a shot.

Sent from my Droid

OP
Q

qurtrn10

Reaction score
Nevermind replying - I figured it out right after I posted the question. For any other people who might need to know, on the contact page, click Backup Assistant, and (I think it said) sync. The contacts uploaded by themselves. Whoo-hoo!

OP
Q

qurtrn10

Reaction score
I think you can just import your contacts into your gmail contacts through your PC, and then sync your phone to that gmail account and it should download the contacts. Worth a shot.

Sent from my Droid

I guess you were replying while I was writing my reply. Thanks for the reply anyway!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nevermind replying - I figured it out right after I posted the question. For any other people who might need to know, on the contact page, click Backup Assistant, and (I think it said) sync. The contacts uploaded by themselves. Whoo-hoo!

That is something that wouldn't work on the moto droid. I don't know what Verizon store you went to but I'd call and complain about the 20.00 charge even if you didn't pay it. They are suppose to do it for free.

SneakyDave

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Droid X. I was able to have Verizon transfer my pictures and supposedly the contact list (for free), but I couldn't find them. I ended up using Astro File manager to find the images, and move them to the "Camera" folder on the sd card.

The contact list was transferred to a file called "Cellebrite.csv.zip", which I then emailed to my Gmail account, imported that contact list into Gmail, and then started the sync to my Droid.

The main problem with this procedure is that it imports the contacts as a "Google" account entry, not a "Phone Contact" account entry. This causes a problem in my bluetooth devices because only "Phone Contact" entries are recognized in those devices.

I need to find a way to either import the contact list into the Phone Contacts, or have my bluetooth device recognize the Google contacts on my phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

That is something that wouldn't work on the moto droid. I don't know what Verizon store you went to but I'd call and complain about the 20.00 charge even if you didn't pay it. They are suppose to do it for free.

It's an installed option on the X Hook....Just a FYI :D

SneakyDave

Reaction score
Well, I have to retract my previous statement, my bluetooth devices seem to be working ok now. I have no idea what happened, maybe a bad sync or phone book download prevented it from seeing the imported contacts into the "google" account type, but it appears everything works fine now.

The problem I have now is that I have to link the imported Google contacts with the Facebook contacts, which might take a while.

There's got to be a better way to have the Cellebrite machine save the contacts from the old phone to the new phone, and simply import those into the phone contacts, without having to go through the gmail import route.