How to guide: Disable double notifications when using handcent sms

jmwilli9

Reaction score
This fix does not work for me it disables both applications, when i do as instructed. I don't get the notifications on either application and I don't receive the actual messages either. Any suggestions.

GotnFX

Reaction score
OK so heres a question. I have gone and disabled everything on the stock messenger app. that notification is gone. I rooted and rom'ed my phone with bugless beast last week and Better Keyboard. it was giving me a new text icon in notifications. its white...looks like a post card. along with the Handcent icon. I somehow found out what program was doing it. But i installed Simply stunning yesterday...and that damned postcard icon is back again and for the life of me i cant remember how i disabled it. doublechecked the stock messenger app. disabled. if i click on the notification it pops up with the Messenger app with the message in it......but the icon does not go away.
I think it's been narrowed down to Beautiful Widgets pack 2. That's what has been giving everyone that white envelope.

I don't have BW installed and I was getting the white envelope notification. I figured out that the app Missed Call was giving the 2nd white envelope notification. Deleted the SMS service feature on MS and now only 1 notification shows. Was getting really aggravated...but back now to a happy Droider!
Also...I am NOT rooted!

mtdawg169

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my messages showing up in both handcent and the stock messaging app. When I send out a pic msg. It resizes twice and sends twice. Will disabling auto retreive in the stock app fix this?

datboijon

Reaction score
im still having issues with the stock messaging app. now i dont get double notifications but whenever i receive a text message and my phone is in sleep mode the phone turns on and the stock messaging app comes up and displays my text. anyone know how i can stop the messaging app from picking up the messages. i have everything disabled in the stock app. its livable but getting tiresome. tia for the help

update: it does the same thing while the phone is awake too (ie if im on the home screen stock messaging app still opens up and displays the text)

johnny9374

Reaction score
ive tried handcent and chomp have had some of the same troubles with handcent never any trouble with chomp

GotnFX

Reaction score
im still having issues with the stock messaging app. now i dont get double notifications but whenever i receive a text message and my phone is in sleep mode the phone turns on and the stock messaging app comes up and displays my text. anyone know how i can stop the messaging app from picking up the messages. i have everything disabled in the stock app. its livable but getting tiresome. tia for the help

update: it does the same thing while the phone is awake too (ie if im on the home screen stock messaging app still opens up and displays the text)

This isn't the stock SMS. It is a feature in handcent called popup. Go into Handcent settings and unchecked popup.

jphccfc

Reaction score
Question i have handscent sms installed do i still ned the default sms client installed or can i remove it if i cant remove it can i kill it as a service?

datboijon

Reaction score

This isn't the stock SMS. It is a feature in handcent called popup. Go into Handcent settings and unchecked popup.

oohhh makes sense but it has the same appearance of the stock program instead of the HC UI.

Pagey33

Reaction score
I noticed I was getting 2 message notification symbols in the status bar.
A sms message symbol (envelope style) and the symbol I chose for handcent.
I couldn't figure out how to remove the sms notification.
I removed notifications from stock message app and handcent app.
That was the only way to get 1 message symbol in bar. (sms message symbol (envelope style).
I wish i could get rid of the sms notification and use the Handcent one with the style
and color of my choosing.
i keep missed call app for continued reminders when message is missed.

any suggestions?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
This has prob already been asked but didnt see it.. How do you turn off the vibrate when receiving a text? Im using handcent and the vibrate notification option is unchecked.. as well as in settings...

stonecaster

Reaction score
I noticed I was getting 2 message notification symbols in the status bar.
A sms message symbol (envelope style) and the symbol I chose for handcent.
I couldn't figure out how to remove the sms notification.
I removed notifications from stock message app and handcent app.
That was the only way to get 1 message symbol in bar. (sms message symbol (envelope style).
I wish i could get rid of the sms notification and use the Handcent one with the style
and color of my choosing.
i keep missed call app for continued reminders when message is missed.

any suggestions?

This is the same problem I am having. It seems like it didn't start until I Upgraded to Ultimate Droid 9. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like one notification is for the Handcent sms message (this is the icon I choose) and the other is a envelope style icon that acts like it is for the Handcent popup that appears when I get a message. Not sure how to go back to just one notification.
PS: ALL notifications are turned off in the default messaging app. Both the icons appear to be for Handcent only.

Well I finally figured out that my extra notification was comming from the app MissedCall. I feel stupid but anyway atleast
the extra notification icon is gone.

Last edited:

get it on!

Reaction score
I have spent hours,days....weeks trying to put an end to this.the exact settings listed,are the setting I have. I also still have double notifacations....what gives?? Too bad cuz handcent is soooo much better!

joko1425

Reaction score
Ok I've been using handcent for a while now and no issues until today, when I tried to change my notification alert in handcent. All of a sudden I was getting double notified. Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out WTH happened. Read through the posts, tried all the recommendations, nothing worked. Then...realized/remembered I've also been using SPC (Super Private Conversation), which makes you disable notifications in your other messaging app...which I guess I had disabled a while ago but forgot. Once I disabled the notifications in handcent, problem disappeared.

My point: it's probably another app that's causing your double notifications.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i started getting double notifications after the last update yesterday. everything was fine until then, i also had to remove my custom ringtone from my phone and put it back just to get the the sound to work.