How to empty the email trash

cuskit

Reaction score
I'm using my Droid to monitor two POP mail accounts (optonline) that I use in addition to my Gmail account. Tonight I just happened to look at my email folders, and there in the trash folder lie well over 1780 emails that I had deleted after reading (from all the way back when I first got the Droid). My question: how do I empty this trash? I select each one and delete it, and it's no longer showing in the trash. Is there a way to select all and delete? I don't have the time to go through now and individually checkmark or select all 1780 mails - that would take hours. Gotta be a simpler way.

Or - is there a need to empty the trash? Am I taking up any storage (memory) by having all these residing in my trash folder?

In a trashy mood - cuskit :)

Mr Steve

Reaction score
You can login to your Gmail account on the web and manually delete your Trash (and Spam) or ...

Gmail on the Web said:
Empty Trash now (messages that have been in Trash more than 30 days will be automatically deleted)

... just don't worry about it and it will take care of itself.

The Droid only syncs a set amount, anyways. I know it's four days for Sent emails. No idea how long for Trash & Spam, although I'd assume it'd be a shorter duration unless you actively went poking around in the folders.

POP accounts not fetched by Gmail? - I have no idea as I've been Gmail only (or at least having Gmail fetch those old POP accounts I don't want to get rid of) for a few years now.

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
You can login to your Gmail account on the web and manually delete your Trash (and Spam) or ...

Gmail on the Web said:
Empty Trash now (messages that have been in Trash more than 30 days will be automatically deleted)

... just don't worry about it and it will take care of itself.

The Droid only syncs a set amount, anyways. I know it's four days for Sent emails. No idea how long for Trash & Spam, although I'd assume it'd be a shorter duration unless you actively went poking around in the folders.

POP accounts not fetched by Gmail? - I have no idea as I've been Gmail only (or at least having Gmail fetch those old POP accounts I don't want to get rid of) for a few years now.
No, I'm not talking about my Gmail. Only the POP accountants. And those messages in the trash date back to November, well over thirty days.

I have no wish to get rid of these two accounts - they are my primary work email accounts for my business. I'm not technically savvy on just how the gMail account syncs with the POP, but all works well. Except I don't get notification of mail in those two accounts, only the gMail account.

I haven't messed with the folders other than just viewing them for the first time tonight. cuskit

jpeter1093

Reaction score
You can go into settings/applications/manage applications/then hit menu/filter/all/email/clear data. NOTE: THIS WILL CLEAR EVERYTHING; but you only have to re-setup your email account by entering email again and entering your email address and password.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
You can go into settings/applications/manage applications/then hit menu/filter/all/email/clear data. NOTE: THIS WILL CLEAR EVERYTHING; but you only have to re-setup your email account by entering email again and entering your email address and password.

Wow, that sounds a little too overkill.

Like the original poster, I'm trying to figure out better ways of managing/deleting non-GMail pop account mail (yahoo, in my case). I'd been wondering about the local storage and deletion functionlity too. Any luck yet, cuskit?

angryunibrow

Reaction score
This is the reason I had to force myself to use Gmail.

The default Email app (not Gmail) does not have a select all function or an Empty all trash function.

How this got released like this is beyond me.

They expect us to use this phone for business, but leave out a major function.

Thumbs up google!

Mr Steve

Reaction score
I have no wish to get rid of these two accounts - they are my primary work email accounts for my business. I'm not technically savvy on just how the gMail account syncs with the POP, but all works well. Except I don't get notification of mail in those two accounts, only the gMail account.

When you set up your POP accounts what did you use for the 'Incoming Mail' server? It should be something like 'mail.mybusinessname.com'. You should be able to open a browser window on your computer (not Droid) and navigate to that site. Don't use any 'www', 'http' or the like - just type 'mail.mybusinessname.com' into the browser bar. That should bring up a webmail form for your POP account. Type in your login & password and it should give you a folder-like layout for inbox, sent & trash. Empty the trash folder from your computer.

errol469

Reaction score
I found out how to complete this.

1. Select Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>
2. Click on the "ALL" icon at the top.
3. Scroll Down and Select "Email".
4. Select "Clear Data".
5. When prompted "Delete", select OK.
<Complete>