How to: E-mail that is not Exchange or G-Mail

keiichi25

Reaction score
I have seen a few of these messages, and myself, I have asked then I found out how you are suppose to do it.

Since I don't have an extra camera on me to take pictures of this, I will just have to do it word for word right now on how you will do this:

1) Enter your E-mail app, basically bring it up.
2) Hit the 'Menu' button.
3) Hit 'Add Account'

From there, you will see "Set Up email"
You can configure Email for most accounts in just a few steps.

[Email address]
[Password]
[ ] Send Email from this account by
[Manual Setup] [Next ->]
Put in your e-mail address, and put in your password for that e-mail address.

For those of you not using the a popular mail server, like Yahoo, or Live.com or the like, I highly recommend you use 'Manual Setup' button next. The reason why, is that it will allow you to pick what type of mail server you are connecting to. If you are connecting to Yahoo or Live.com or such, it will probably complete without issue.

IF NOT...

You need to do a little work on your end for the following...

Pop3 and SMTP server, Ports and Security Type for your Mail server. Most mail servers use POP3, some will use IMAP. Either way, you need to inquire your mail server what this information is so you can put it in.

You enter in the data to the appropriate fields and it will test both incoming and outgoing e-mail.

This should be reasonably straight forward. One thing I will caution you with on all this, do not use the following:

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync

The Default Settings Menu does only allows for Gmail, Exchange and Facebook. What is listed here is for setting up e-mail through the Mail App. Trust me, it took me 4 days to figure out how to do this properly and a lot of the posts seem to neglect mentioning how to do this.

OP
keiichi25

keiichi25

Reaction score
I should probably have a mod move this to the other forums, like the FAQ and what not. :)

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
What i would question is the time that mails r pushed to the droid for those accounts. How long does it take? Do i have to do this manually?

lemme pls know

tigger

P.s.: we see if it states true what u how-to'ed ;)
then we make it FAQ

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What i would question is the time that mails r pushed to the droid for those accounts. How long does it take? Do i have to do this manually?

lemme pls know

tigger

P.s.: we see if it states true what u how-to'ed ;)
then we make it FAQ

I set my device to go get my home email (pop3) every 10 minutes. Gmail is pushed. It's working very well for me this way.

OP
keiichi25

keiichi25

Reaction score
From what I saw doing this manual set up, it is roughly about 1 to 2 minutes when you send from the phone. The 'pull' is up to you when you go back into the phone, but from what I saw, the default setting is about 10 minutes. I move it down to 30 minutes since I am not heavily active on my e-mail accounts and no need to 'watch dog' it as heavily.

If you know your account isn't really 'heavy' on access, you should probably up the time of checking it to something less intensive to make it easier on the phone's battery.

The one thing I do like is the fact that unlike the Blackberry, when you compose within the mailbox, it uses that identity, not the default identity, so you can at least keep your work and personal emails separate. The Blackberry, when you compose a message, it does ask you for which identity you want to be from, which in most cases, is a hassle.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Setting up email on Droid doesn't seem to be user friendly. Almost any body can setup an iPhone, and I'm not an iPhone enthusiast, but it's simple. Setting up Droid email sounds like a job for an IT guy. That won't get them very far. Am I misinterpreting?

mjs31

Reaction score
Setting up email on Droid doesn't seem to be user friendly. Almost any body can setup an iPhone, and I'm not an iPhone enthusiast, but it's simple. Setting up Droid email sounds like a job for an IT guy. That won't get them very far. Am I misinterpreting?

Email on the droid is the same as setting up email at home...really. If in doubt, go to your outlook (tools -> account settings), outlook express or whatever and copy the settings.

I also have all my emails forwarded through my gmail account (well now I am actually making my gmail account my primary). If you have them forwarded through, you do not need to set up the email account, just the gmail account you have anyway and your email will be pushed to your Droid.

I think some are panicking because they think there is something mystical about setting it up.

I do have issues with some videos out there telling you how to set it up since there is NO way one way fits all. You can get close, but a certain setting will typically be off.

ssharp2260

Reaction score
I set mine up just like that; it works Okay except that when I send something the person who gets it can't read it. I can read it just fine but nobody else. I have started using the Gmail to get the e-mail and works Okay. But why put the separate e-mail app on there if you can't use it.

dugsieg

Reaction score
I cant set up my Yahoo email account on Droid

I keep getting message saying "Mailbox access is not supported for some types of Yahoo accounts. If you have trouble connecting, visit yahoo.com for more information."

When I try to enter my username and password it says Username and Password incorrect.

Any Help

FireDroid

Reaction score
Mine is all set up and works great. You have to go into your yahoo settings and look under your pop account settings and use those to put into the phone. Use them exactly and it will work. I tried using the imap stuff off the video from here and it would not work, kept saying username or password not valid, then I went and used the pop settings instead and it worked like a charm on my yahoo account. It's not really that difficult.

smellelectric

Reaction score
This is sort of related, I have @yahoo, an @hotmail and an @live, as well as gmail and my work e-mail accounts configured on my Droid and all of them work perfectly except the @live account. On this one I cannot get the notigfication ringtone to stop returning to the default notification sound. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue and if so how can I correct it.

Re Yahoo, I have a plus account that costs me about $20 a year so that it will work with my outlook, etc. I don't know if this is required for it to work with the Droid but I have had no issues with this particular account.