How to disable text notifications that wake screen at night

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I would like to be able to disable waking the screen at night when I get a text for certain hours. Even if I turn Down the volume sometimes the waking of the screen wakes me up sometimes

I know I could lay down the phone face down but I would prefer it to be a feature to sleep screen wake for texts at night

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
Every single phone does this to my knowledge...not sure of a workaround... Sorry I can't be of more help

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Doesn't Blocking Mode do this?

Blocking Mode is only on Samsung devices. Since SMYDSMITH mentioned Motorola, I assume it's a Motorola device that's being discussed.

Android 5.0 has a Do Not Disturb feature built into it, so depending on which Moto device SMYDSMITH has, that might be an option.

Every single phone does this to my knowledge...not sure of a workaround... Sorry I can't be of more help

Outside of Moto devices with an active display, I haven't had a phone in years that turned the screen on automatically when a text message was received.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
If it's a moto device with activity display then i don't see the issue in the first place. My moto x gives off very very little light when showing the active display as it only lights up the pixels required to show the minimal Info meaning the black pixels aren't black because of the light but rather because they aren't being USED. So....... The light should be a moot issue anyway.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If it's a moto device with activity display then i don't see the issue in the first place. My moto x gives off very very little light when showing the active display as it only lights up the pixels required to show the minimal Info meaning the black pixels aren't black because of the light but rather because they aren't being USED. So....... The light should be a moot issue anyway.

Any light at all can be too much light for some people when they're sleeping, especially if the room is very dark. The active display on my Droid Turbo would light up quite a bit at night in my bedroom with blackout curtains. And the tiny LED notification on my Note 4 wakes me up at night sometimes.

It's not going to be an issue for many people, but it will be for some.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
Any light at all can be too much light for some people when they're sleeping, especially if the room is very dark. The active display on my Droid Turbo would light up quite a bit at night in my bedroom with blackout curtains. And the tiny LED notification on my Note 4 wakes me up at night sometimes.

It's not going to be an issue for many people, but it will be for some.
Then as I suggested earlier just turn it over and it won't create any light that would disturb his sleep.

Moto devices these days come built with a sensor to tell them when the phones face down to not display Info on the screen or make unnecessary notification sounds. There might Also be an upon while in sleep mode to not light the screen up at all.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Handcent has a feature that lets you get a pop up without the screen waking. You can set it so the pop up either wakes the screen or doesn't.
It also has Smart Mode, which you can set the pop up brightness at certain times of the day, example regular pop up until bed time then it'd go to what you set it to brightness wise, then at wake time in the morning back to regular pop up brightness. Unless you have pop up enabled and set it won't ever wake the screen when you get a text/mms.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I am using a moto droid maxx and there doesn't seem to be a don't wake screen option anymore putting face down would work but I wanted the option to not have to do it. The active moto displays the text fade in and which isn't an issue its the few seconds it lights up the whole screen even with pop up texts off I thought night mode on active display would prevent but it doesn't

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I have tried like 8 different sleep apps the one that works best for me seems to be nights keeper but none if them seem to be able to block the wake screen on texts so u have the phone face down or face the wall its driving me bonkers that moto seems to disable the feature so apps can't be set to not wake phone

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure if it's still around, but SMS Popup used to have an option for waking the screen (or in your case, not waking the screen).

Also, as @mountainbikermark mentioned a few posts up, handcent has an option that might do the same thing.

Really, any third-party app for texting might have additional feature like that. If you set a texting app that doesn't turn the screen on as your default for messaging, the screen won't come on.

Case in point, I use Hangouts for texting and it doesn't turn my screen on when I get a text. However, the stock Messaging app on my Note 4 DOES turn the screen on. Since Hangouts is set as my default/preferred/whatever word they use app for messaging, my screen doesn't come on when I get a text.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
All Samsung Galaxy devices have a feature built in, called "blocking mode". Swype down your notification bar with TWO fingers to bring up...
WGqMLMO.png

from there, long press on the blocking mode icon
xx0FTyX.jpg
from there you can set it up accordingly
BjTG3Gw.jpg
even what time of the day you'd like it to turn itself on or off.
2oNpAgg.jpg
works great!
The only thing that bothers me is its inability to turn off your LED notifications if you have that activated on your device.
Personally, I have to have a completely dark room in order to sleep well, and the light from my phone is what actually wakes me up each morning (before the actual alarm does).
Everything else works great though and you can also set it up to allow certain contacts to ring or text through for emergency purposes.
Only downside is, it doesn't turn off that flashing LED, but I simply turn it off manually when I activate my alarm, takes two seconds.

S5 tap'n