How to disable status bar previews

madhusker

Reaction score
I've been looking everywhere and still cannot find a solution. Is it not possible to disable the previews without disabling the sound or vibration?

CursedArmand

Reaction score
I've been looking everywhere and still cannot find a solution. Is it not possible to disable the previews without disabling the sound or vibration?

No & Yes. Not if you are unrooted and using stock HTC Sense (at least I don't know of a way yet), but apps solve that. I use ADW.Launcher EX as my home screen replacement and it allows me to flick away the notification/status bar. This does not work In App

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
M

madhusker

Reaction score
I have the droid incredible... I was able to use Handcent to control the SMS functions however there is no global setting and it seems the application needs to support suppressing this. VERY VERY annoying!! :icon_evil: What were they thinking? Just blast everything all over the status bar including the lock screen? Stupid!

RML35

Reaction score
I have the droid incredible... I was able to use Handcent to control the SMS functions however there is no global setting and it seems the application needs to support suppressing this. VERY VERY annoying!! :icon_evil: What were they thinking? Just blast everything all over the status bar including the lock screen? Stupid!

seriously! This information is disappointing. I just got the Incredible and was hopeful that once rooted this problem would go away. I was recently out with a chick when a buddy sent me a private message regarding her. Well long story short, she saw part of the message and got angry. Please say someone knows of a way to get rid of this horrible feature. Would using some other type of a non-stock SMS program eliminate this atrocity?

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
YES.. you can disable preview in HANDCENT.. people actually DONT use handcent?

handcent is pimp.. get handcent and disable alerts for the stock app..

OP
M

madhusker

Reaction score
YES.. you can disable preview in HANDCENT.. people actually DONT use handcent?

handcent is pimp.. get handcent and disable alerts for the stock app..

Handcent is a life saver however you should be able to disable stuff globally. I hate that about this phone! All other message apps put a preview on the message bar and it sucks! Otherwise I like the phone overall.

CursedArmand

Reaction score
Um, HELLO! Why don't all you brainiacs share info and MAKE the app that disables all status updates?! It looks to me y'all already have a market, so hop on that Android SDK, and get your 99¢ per download. If I remember correctly there's a new app maker, too. Haven't tried it, but I think its easy hands in stuff.

I want 10%

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

RedWriterGrl

Reaction score

YES THERE IS! It took me three hours to find it and it was only because the way they word that particular option, for some, like me lol, is very confusing. Here is what I did:

Tap Handscent app
Hit Menu
Then Settings
Next, Notification Settings
In the notification settings MENU make sure the ''notifications - display message notifications in status bar is CHECKED!
Next step - right underneath the notifications submenu, you will see NOTIFICATION SETTINGS with a drill down arrow. Tap this. In this menu you will see an option that says PRIVACY MODE. It normally reads show message content in the notification bar, and your head tells you to leave this UNCHECKED. But instead you need to check it so that it reads DON'T show message CONTENT in the notification bar. You have to do EACH step as I listed so that you are able to disable the PREVIEW option in notif. bar, but still get a NOTIFICATION, with whatever sounds options you choose. I hope this helps everyone because this was a major headache to figure out! Also, make sure your handscent is updated.

Good luck! :)