How to debug my Bionic gradual slowdown.

nomadh

Reaction score
I have a well working stock bionic with the latest ota's etc. There is one issue I'd like to solve. Over my bionics life I have rarely needed to do a reset. It would usually last a month or more until something finally went flakey or I just screwed up and let the battery run out. Sometime around the new JB update it got a lot more picky. Now it can start to become very slow switching between apps, turning on or opening menus. Once the new app is running then it can usually run fine, sometimes it can switch back to the old app ok and other times it can stall again. Any app. Going into phone or camera but one of the worst is looking through my installed apps. I may have to try 6 or 8 times before it comes up. The delay in all these cases is usually much longer than my screen timeout, typically 30 seconds. A simple reboot usually fixes it sometimes for a few days sometime for 1/2 day. I did a clear cache but is works the same. I try not to have widgets or background apps.
I'd like to troubleshoot what is going on. Some process or app or situation seems to be squeezing the ability out of the phone as I go along. It seems I am running out of cpu or memory or mem is fragmenting. How do I prove what is the problem?
My main apps are just browsers, dolphin and firefox, reading text posts with a handfull of tabs kept open. Nothing I didnt do more of on the bionic earlier. Sometimes I do youtube, pandora and tunein. Rarely have the nav or gps on. Battery life is similar to always using the extended batt. I charge every night an sometimes during the day if streaming. But I have seen this have the problem without any streaming or many other apps.
Any ideas on what paramaters to watch and how to watch it?
Thanks

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
There were a lot of people that complained of slowness after the JB update. Once they did a reset they never had to do it again.

OP
N

nomadh

Reaction score
Yea I've heard that. Pretty sure if I wanted to manually delete everything and start over it could fix it too but I really hate troubleshooting that way. I'm hoping to skip recreating and reinstalling my whole digital dna on this system. It doesn't make a lot of sense that there is a big problem because it can work well for a few days so it isnt a bad system file. Its something that happens so how do I track what happened?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have the issues you describe, plus, plus many more. I have deleted apps, removed widgets, cleared cache, run in safe mode, multiple FDRs. FDR fixes it for a week, maybe 2. Cache clear fixes it for a day, maybe 2. I have been on VZW tech line 20 times escalating up levels most times. They had me try all that stuff I mentioned again, and again. They remote accessed several times. No fixes that last more than a few hours or days.

The last straw was phone calls. I have a small business and I never work in the same place twice, so my phone is very important to me. My screen got to where it would not wake until the 3rd ring, and then I couldn't slide the answer icon until after the 4th ring and by then it had gone to VM.

I am pretty sure I have a permanent fix, but I am not going to discuss until after Thursday. PM me after Thursday and I'll let you know

OP
N

nomadh

Reaction score
Well just checking in again but I think there aren't many left here. I think I'm really looking for a more generic answer anyway. Not a fix my bionic but how do you debug whats going on moment to moment under the hood so when I want attention or a switch what exactly is the phone doing that it isnt able to respond? Any ideas or better places to post the question?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Bionic started life horrible, ended life horrible, with a pretty good run in between. It was time for me to move on. I debugged by getting a new phone.