How to convert moto droid car dock to vent mount

Jameshpatterson

Reaction score
I can't imagine this is too tough, but I looking to ditch the standard droid car dock for a vent mount option. Does the ball on the back of the dock allow it to be attached to some sort of vent mount kit?
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

xliderider

Reaction score
Sure, if you can find a vent mount with a ball on it. Or if you can adapt a vent mount to put one of these on it:

dashmount.jpg

OP
J

Jameshpatterson

Reaction score
So I could take the head piece from the nav mount and replace it with my droid dock? Are the balls a standard size and connection?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bigbill25

Reaction score
So I could take the head piece from the nav mount and replace it with my droid dock? Are the balls a standard size and connection?

I'm looking to do the same thing. The diameter of the ball on the Droid (and Droid 2) dock is 0.673". If you look at RAM Mount here:

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. > Support Center > Glossary of Terms

their smallest it 0.56" and the next up is 1.0", so they won't work...

I would love to find a AMPS to 0.673" ball or a AMPS to Motorola's double-T connector...

--Bill

Reaction score
Whats more unfortunate than dragging up the past is clickin on a link titled "Amazon" and getting:

kailey-kitty._V192239871_.gif
Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

orange-arrow._V192240581_.gif
Go to Amazon.com's Home Page
If you can maybe come back to this long forgotten post and replace the word Amazon with the Items name, I would be soooo grateful. :)

I am also trying to figure out the same problem, I can't understand why Motorola thinks everyone wants to block their vision with 'another' addition on their windshield.
You could get back to this that would be great.

Thanks

trook

Reaction score
You know those cheap air fresheners that stick in your vent that they sell at auto zone? It looks like the vent hooks will slide right onto the backplate of the cardock....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

trbasil

Reaction score
In my previous car I used a garmin adapter and the ball was the exact size of the stock Moto unit. So unless Garmin has used different ball sizes then this one with the Garmin ball mount should do the trick. It also comes with a dual T-slot adapter (for a Magellan GPS), which the stock mount uses, I'm just not sure if the dual T-slot that Magellan uses is the same as the one on the stock mount.

GPS Vent Mount with GPS Adapters | Bracketron