How to Change Mac Address on Droid X?

reef9

Reaction score
Hi all. I am in need of manually changing if possible the Mac Address of the Droid X???? Any help please?

Thanks,

japaleno

Reaction score
No such luck man, the mac is the hardware address and can't be changed, may be able to spoof it but, I've never heard of anybody doing it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
R

reef9

Reaction score
No such luck man, the mac is the hardware address and can't be changed, may be able to spoof it but, I've never heard of anybody doing it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There has got to be a way to change it. I've read a forum explaining that it changes without reason but that it did.... anyhow, i hope someone can help with this?

Thanks

manaox2

Reaction score
You can't change it, but possibly could spoof it one day. People have tried using the terminal and the set eth0 command to do this like on linux but it changes back @ connection. Some custom roms have done it. An app maker should get on this as its definitely possible. I think it will at least require root.

See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788418

sent via tapatalk

japaleno

Reaction score
MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MAC addresses are most often assigned by the manufacturer of a network interface card (NIC) and are stored in its hardware, the card's read-only memory, or some other firmware mechanism. If assigned by the manufacturer, a MAC address usually encodes the manufacturer's registered identification number. It may also be known as an Ethernet hardware address (EHA), hardware address, adapter address, or physical address.

As I said, you may be able to spoof it, but it cannot be changed, it is encoded in the rom of the chip by the manufacturer.

OP
R

reef9

Reaction score
Thanks for the explaining. However, it seems as if there should be a way to somehow change the Mac address similar to how you can on a PC.

Check this thread.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ilestone-wifi-mac-address-keeps-changing.html

Would resetting the phone CHANGE the MAC address?

ALSO, I noticed from the MOTO website that you can only "see" the mac address on your phone when wifi is turned ON. Does this me 3G does NOT use a Mac address, just an IP address?

Thanks

jjd228

Reaction score
Thanks for the explaining. However, it seems as if there should be a way to somehow change the Mac address similar to how you can on a PC.

You can't "change" it on a pc. Some nic drivers will allow you to spoof the mac address by entering one manually, but you're not changing anything. You have to understand that the mac address is burned into the board by the manufacturer and is globally unique. Root access at the command line in Linux will indeed let you do the same thing, again depending on the nic driver.

RHCSE/MCSE

OP
R

reef9

Reaction score

You can't "change" it on a pc. Some nic drivers will allow you to spoof the mac address by entering one manually, but you're not changing anything. You have to understand that the mac address is burned into the board by the manufacturer and is globally unique. Root access at the command line in Linux will indeed let you do the same thing, again depending on the nic driver.

RHCSE/MCSE

Is this spoofing?

How to Change or Spoof MAC Address in Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003/2008, Mac OS X, Unix and Linux My Digital Life

Technoman

Reaction score
OP
R

reef9

Reaction score
Ok so let me re-ask this question.

How do you spoof the mac address of my Droid X?

Technoman

Reaction score

Well, it isn't possible in the stock OS.... you would have to have a modified ROM (and at this time we don't have any) that has this ability built in to the OS.

OP
R

reef9

Reaction score

Well, it isn't possible in the stock OS.... you would have to have a modified ROM (and at this time we don't have any) that has this ability built in to the OS.

Shoot.. well hopefully it comes out to where it can be spoofed... Thanks for the help and info...