[HOW TO] BE READY to FLASH GB/2nd-INIT ROMs

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Little help guide on how to be prepared to flash Gingerbread ROM's and 2nd-INIT based ROM's!

Original post here, thought I would share here as well: [HOW TO] BE READY to FLASH GB/2nd-INIT ROMs

Part 1: 2nd-INIT, what is is, and what it is not.

The first and fore most thing you need to do first is READ! I can not stress this enough on how important it is to read up and understand what you are doing to your phone! Detailed instructions are always found in the original and first post of the ROM you are trying to flash!

So now, what is 2nd-INIT? Read this here: Still Loading ... » blog:2011-06-14:2nd-init._what_it_is_and_how_it_works

tl;dr (too long; didn't read) version: 2nd-init uses PFM to reload the initialization process, 2nd-init does NOT unlock the bootloader or let you run a custom kernel.

But still read that blog! Its a good read for us techie people ;).

2nd-INIT base ROM's are ROM's based off of CyanogenMOD's open source platform which has been built from source based on AOSP, Android Open Source Project, which is all built from the latest and greatest Android OS, Android 2.3 Gingerbread. It is truly pure Android, with everything built from the ground up. These 2nd-INIT ROM's are built for Motorola devices only! Due to the fact we have a locked bootloader, other wise, CM (CyanogenMOD) base ROM's work on open devices with no issues and without the need for the 2nd-INIT process.

So far, we have the following 2nd-INIT ROM's for the DROID X:
-CyanogenMOD 7
-SSX (Simply Stunning)
-MIUI
-Liquid
-Justice (Team Liberty)

Another thing everyone needs to know about 2nd-INIT, is that it only works on the older kernel from the Froyo 2.3.340 builds. This means that it will not work coming from any of the Gingerbread versions we currently have for the DROID X due to the fact they have an update Gingerbread kernel.

(This does not mean that you are not running Gingerbread (Android 2.3), however. The base operating system for all 2nd-INIT ROM's is is fact Gingerbread 2.3.3 or higher, some are running 2.3.4 and soon to be 2.3.5.)

The kernel version should be: 2.6.32.9

With this in mind, to flash a 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on this kernel! Meaning you must already be on another 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on Froyo, or you must be on a Froyo ROM.

Flashing from Gingerbread builds with the new Gingerbread kernel will result in a brick.

Part 2: Preparation

The first step of easy flashing, is to always have key essential application files located on your SD card for easy access.

So create a new folder in the ROOT of your SD card, name it Application or something to that effect.

Place these files in there:
-z4root [FIND HERE]
-Droid X/2 Bootstrap app(s). Really don't need both, but I do just in case. Find in the Market
-Root system file explorer, like "Root Explorer."

To move these files from the internal phone storage to your SD card, open up your root file explorer app, navigate to /data/app/ and scroll down to find the app you want to move, long press and select COPY, then navigate back to your SD card and paste it there.

Having these essential apps ready to install from your SD card makes it a lot easier to flash after you have done an SBF. This way you can skip the activation (by tapping the four corners of the set up screen when the droid comes up and says "Touch Me!") and go straight to rooting, bootstraping, and flashing a ROM without having to set anything up, since you are just going to wipe all that out anyways during the ROM installation.

The second step is to get back to Froyo base, if you have not already done so. You can get back by going through the SBF process using the Froyo 2.3.340 full system file.

Detail instructions here:
SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7
Linux solution to your Windows/RSD lite problems

If you have issues SBF'ing, please post in the appropriate method thread above! Do not post SBF issues here please.

Part 3: Being on a 2nd-INIT ROM

VERY IMPORTANT! Once you are on a 2nd-INIT ROM, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FLASH THE DROID X OR DROID 2 BOOTSTRAP APPS! Custom recovery is already installed into these ROM's, flashing any one of the DX/2 Bootstraps will brick your phone!

To access recovery from a 2nd-INIT ROM, either use the built in Reboot option from the power button menu, or use ROM Manager to access recovery.

Also, in ROM Manager, you will notice that your Recovery version is 4.0.0.5 or higher, if it is not this, flash the new recovery but tapping on flash recovery and choosing the DROID X 2nd-INIT version.

Also, each 2nd-INIT ROM has different options to offer. If you like flashing ROM's, try them all! Each one has been tailored differently and you may find you like one better than another.

No two 2nd-INIT ROM's are equal, and this also means that not one is better than the other! It is all a mater of personal opinion based on what you like from the ROM.

IMPORTANT: Once on a 2nd-INIT ROM, if you wish to go back to Froyo nandroid that is NOT a 2nd-INIT ROM, open up ROM Manager and flash the regular DROID X Custom Recovery, this will make sure flashing your backup will go smoothly. The differences is that the old recovery uses "amend" as the updater script and so does your backup, the new recovery, uses a new script called "edify," and not compatible.

I hope this helps everyone out! dancedroid​

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good write up. I enjoyed CVPCS's explanation of 2nd init.

CM74DX

Sciurus

Reaction score
Great write up indeed.

Just one stupid question -
In Part 1 you say:
The kernel version should be: 2.6.32.9

With this in mind, to flash a 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on this kernel! Meaning you must already be on another 2nd-INIT ROM, you must be on Froyo, or you must be on a Froyo ROM.

Okay, great. I'm on Apex 1.4 (a Froyo ROM) and my phone says it's got kernel version 2.6.32.9-g55626e1.

Then in Part 2 you say:

The second step is to get back to Froyo base, if you have not already done so. You can get back by going through the SBF process using the Froyo 2.3.340 full system file.

Am I right in thinking I don't have to go all the way back to base, since I've already got the right kernel? Or do I need to SBF anyway? And if so, why?

TIA!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can just install CM7 over your ROM.

Apex 2.0 RC2

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have one thing to add to the original post.

Clockwork Recovery 4.0.x is very buggy. Zips have to be in a new format and older zips cannot be flashed. This includes old backups or anything made with the previous versions of Clockwork. The way to tell if you have this version (other than the model), is if it is a gold/yellow font color instead of green.

Do not flash it on your phone, choose Droid X and not Droid X 2nd init.

Of course, if you have ROM Manager Premium and use it to download and flash ROMs such as CM7 nightlies, you will want to use the 2nd init option. But if you flash manually and have the free version, don't do it.

CM74DX

Last edited:
OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, glad you liked the little guide.

Thanks for the extra info brad, will find a spot to add it in.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you might clean that up. Rereading it makes me wonder what I was doing at the time to make it seem like gibberish. Lol

CM74DX

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah, you might clean that up. Rereading it makes me wonder what I was doing at the time to make it seem like gibberish. Lol

CM74DX

Ahaha, I was trying to clean it up, got distracted, how does this sound:

Once on a 2nd-INIT ROM, if you wish to go back to Froyo nandroid that is NOT a 2nd-INIT ROM, open up ROM Manager and flash the regular DROID X Custom Recovery, this will make sure flashing your backup will go smoothly. The differences is that the old recovery uses "amend" as the updater script and so does your backup, the new recovery, uses a new script called "edify," and not compatible.

Sounds good to me...?