[How To:] Access Hidden Features of Moto Blur!

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
First of i'd like to say that if you didn't watch this video yet then please at least check it out.

App Drawer > Guided Tours > Basic Set-Up and Usage Videos > Device Navigation Overview

Once you watch that everything below will make sense.

So we saw how the D3 blur supposedly has the feature to have different profiles for work, home, and other, but its not on the menu like it is in the video, so where is it? Well it's there, just not in plain sight.

--First download LaucherPro from the market
--After it installs click the home button and it will take you to LauncherPro
--Long press somewhere on the screen, and select 'Shortcuts'
--Then select 'Activities' [It will have the same icon as LauncherPro]
--When the screen opens scroll down to 'Homescreen' and select it [This is the blur launcher]
--First put a Shortcut for the very first option. 'com.motorola.blur.home.HomeActivity'
--Click ok to keep the default name and icon
--Click the new icon and it will take you right back to the regular blur home
--Now long press on the screen again and again select 'Shortcut' and 'Activities'
--Again scroll down to 'Homescreen' and select it now the fifth option down will be called 'com.motorola.blur.home.ProfileSwitcherActivity'
--Pick that one and the shortcut will be created.
--Now click on the Select Profile icon, and pick the home profile, that is the default one.
--Now click the 'Select Profile icon and pick the work profile.
--Then complete the about steps so that you can add the icon to the that profile. and do this for each of the 3 profiles and make sure you have the icon on each or you will get stuck in it because the option isn't visible, but you will only get stuck if you select a profile and uninstall launcherpro without putting a shortcut there first.

========================
Now because it was mentioned earlier you can do the same steps above to also use the default blur launcher.

--Follow the steps above to get to the 'Activities' screen and select 'Homescreen'
--Now to use the blur launcher on LauncherPro just select the second option 'com.motorola.blur.apps.AppsActivity'
--Click for the default name and icon, unless you want to change, and BAM you can now use LauncherPro with the default Blur App drawer.
--One thing I have noticed is that by default it always seems to go to the recent apps category for the blur launcher, so just select in the top right corner and pick to show all apps.

=========================

REMEMBER TO PUT THE PROFILE SWITCHER SHORTCUT ON EVERY PROFILE BEFORE UNINSTALLING LAUNCHERPRO!

Code:
You can use LauncherPro to make custom shortcuts for a lot of things, 
but remember if you choose to edit some settings in a hidden menu you find 
or anything and something goes wrong that would not be mine or anyone eles's
fault, and at this point in time the device isn't rooted so even if you change 
some settings and something goes wrong then wiping your phone to factory 
defaults will most likely fix anything you may mess up.

Last edited:

Venom51

Reaction score
I'll add to this.

While you still have Launcher Pro installed long press and select shortcuts -> Activities -> scroll down the list until you find Chooser. Expand it by clicking the arrow and select Chooser.

This will give you an extensive list of actions. Some you will find interesting such as the Testing action. Under which you'll find a switch to turn the cellular radio on and off while leaving wifi working.

You can also from the activities menu create shorcuts to launch the Desk dock and the car dock. Select Smartmode from the car dock list and Desk Home under the Desk Home activities.

You can also get to the stock accounts tool by selecting Accounts and Sync Settings from the activities list and using the the first accounts and sync settings in the lists. Here you'll see why Moto created their own accounts panel to hide thier always active account sync for blur.

Last edited:
OP
woodyman

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Thanks man, I should have thought about adding this as well, was to caught up with the Blur part of it. There are a lot of neat things you can get direct shortcuts to, they don't always work but its still neat. And the docks I think are an improvement over the previous D1 Dock. Lots of nice features.

Thanks for adding in!

I'll add to this.

Venom51

Reaction score
Thanks man, I should have thought about adding this as well, was to caught up with the Blur part of it. There are a lot of neat things you can get direct shortcuts to, they don't always work but its still neat. And the docks I think are an improvement over the previous D1 Dock. Lots of nice features.

Thanks for adding in!

I'll add to this.

I was glad you posted what you did. I needed to have a look at the Car dock as someone was complaing about the Navigation portion of the car dock being crappy. As usual someone didn't mess with it long enough to understand that it's still using Google Navigation as the app. Now I don't like the fact that it doesn't dump you directly to the select a destination screen for Google Nav but other than that it works exactly the same.

km75

Reaction score
Hey thanks for this post man. I had the leaked gb on my d2 and I loved how it had the 3 different profile screens. As a matter of fact it was THE reason I stopped using launcher pro. Needless to say I was disappointed when I saw that this feature wasn't available for the d3. I'm glad to have this feature back. So once again I say thanks for making this available to us.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

JOSHK5

Reaction score
anybody else notice the 4g settings under the chooser shortcut even tho D3 has no 4g?

jweber228

Reaction score
Wonder what the "Data Calls" setting means? Anyone know?

km75

Reaction score
Wonder what the "Data Calls" setting means? Anyone know?

Where have you saw that at?

It shows up when you use the "chooser" shortcut mentioned above...

Yeah I just had to figure out that you were talking about the launcher pro shortcuts and not the stock launcher shortcuts. I'm interested in why that is there too. That and the 4G settings as well. I tried both of them but all they did was FC.

jweber228

Reaction score
Where have you saw that at?

Yeah I just had to figure out that you were talking about the launcher pro shortcuts and not the stock launcher shortcuts. I'm interested in why that is there too. That and the 4G settings as well. I tried both of them but all they did was FC.

Going to the 4g settings force closed for me also, but the Data Call settings worked and can be seen in the attached screenshot.

km75

Reaction score

Going to the 4g settings force closed for me also, but the Data Call settings worked and can be seen in the attached screenshot.

I can't see this actually being the case since the d3 doesn't have the correct radios to allow us to call and browse the web over 3g at the same time but I'm wondering if this has anything to do with that.

Last edited:

endobrian

Reaction score
until ifixit shucks this clam open, no one knows what radios this sucker has. lol

FHZgq.jpg

?!???