How the heck do I transfer files into internal memory from sd card?

jkidd16

Reaction score
How the heck do I transfer files to the internal memory from sd card?

my phone is rooted and I have been using a bunch of file explorers to move some files into the internal memory, but it keeps saying that they are not able to be moved into the system directory folder which I think the internal memory is in. But its not working? y not?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

solar

Reaction score
If you're using Root Explorer or some other such program you have to make sure to set it to mount the file system as R/W (Read/write) as opposed to R/O (Read Only) if you want to be able to copy things into internal storage.

OP
jkidd16

jkidd16

Reaction score
I just got root explorer. I was able to move the videos from the folder from my sd card that had the pics. The pictures are still on the SD card, i just wanted to move the videos into the internal storage. However, the gallery is not recognizing the videos. They are not showing up in the gallery. So which folder do i put the videos folder in the internal memory so it can show up in the gallery? I put tried putting it in system, and then in data, but it didnt work? any specific folder to put it in, in the internal storage?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Gallery is located on the SD card. I'm not following what your thinking is here. I mean I understand you want the videos on the internal memory, I just don't see how you can make them show up in the Gallery if it's on the SD card.

solar

Reaction score
Yeah, i'm not sure the systems setup to recognize file from internal storage to be shown in the gallery. why do you want to move your files there anyway? SD storage is a lot more abundant then internal.

OP
jkidd16

jkidd16

Reaction score
Because I only have 1 gig left. And the videos take up 1 gig and i usually dont look at them. I have 6 gigs of internal memory left so i wud like to use that up too.

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
The 8 gigs of internal storage is in /data not /system. You don't necessarily need root explorer, because /data is already r/w, but many of the other "file browsers" don't have read privileges and show /data as empty, so you might as well use it.

I just copied music to that directory, but I dont know yet if the OS automatically searches /data to add music to the library. Regardless, you can play the files by navigating to them with root explore.

solar

Reaction score
The 8 gigs of internal storage is in /data not /system. You don't necessarily need root explorer, because /data is already r/w, but many of the other "file browsers" don't have read privileges and show /data as empty, so you might as well use it.

I just copied music to that directory, but I dont know yet if the OS automatically searches /data to add music to the library. Regardless, you can play the files by navigating to them with root explore.
OK, that makes sense. I'll have to try that just for fun. I suppose he could just use astro file explorer or semething and make an astro shortcut on the desktop pointing to the video folder. thats kinda what I do, except I put my videos on my SD card in a special folderwith a .nomedia designation because I don't want the gallery to have to sift though my large movie file everytime I load it. If I want to watch a movie I go there and not the gallery.

OP
jkidd16

jkidd16

Reaction score
Swag +1. Never thought of the astro idea. Thanks.

[Edit] lol. It says the /data directory is empty on my astro file manager oh well..

Last edited:

cdf3

Reaction score
Not sure if the Droid 2 has the same file system as the Droid Incredible.
I also wanted to store files I rarely use on the internal 8 GB to free up space on my SDcard. I'm rooted and read that others use Root Explorer.
I was able to do it with Astro File Manager.
My internal memory is located in /mnt/emmc/
I'm able to copy files from my SDcard to the internal memory with no problems.

kichigyas

Reaction score

i already moving music file into /data but when i check the memory status on setting menu the capacity of my sdcard and /data still no change its mean my files no mve to phone memory but still stay in my sdcard, can any one help me to solve this?