How the heck do I set a wallpaper without cropping it?

jrl9851

Reaction score
Everytime I want to set a wallpaper I can't unless I crop it, which obviously takes away from the quality of the wallpaper. I just want to set the entire picture as the wallpaper to get the highest quality, but it won't let me.

Help?

kamileon

Reaction score
If you have gimp or photoshop then try to resize the photo to 960 x854. This is the size I use and they all fit perfectly.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the size of the picture. The size is correct, but when I go to set it as wallpaper on my phone, my phone makes me crop the picture before I can set it as wallpaper. It doesn't let me use the full picture.

kamileon

Reaction score
Actually, if the pic was set to the correct size, meaning the size I listed in my other post, then the pic would be able to fit inside the crop limits. Pull the pic from your phone and open it on your pc and check out the properties. What does it say the size is? Or when you are setting the crop size are you pulling it out to the limits.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
Actually, if the pic was set to the correct size, meaning the size I listed in my other post, then the pic would be able to fit inside the crop limits. Pull the pic from your phone and open it on your pc and check out the properties. What does it say the size is? Or when you are setting the crop size are you pulling it out to the limits.

Alright I'll try that, thanks.

OSX2000

Reaction score
Even a perfectly sized 960x854 image will be blurry as a wallpaper once it goes through the stupid crop process. If you don't believe me, set a wallpaper that way, take a screenshot, and compare it to the original image.

I use WallSwitch, from the market, to set wallpapers. They always appear perfectly crisp.

OSX2000

Reaction score
You don't have to crop at all with a properly sized wallpaper.
Logically, no, you shouldn't have to. But When you pick it in the gallery, it always goes to the crop screen anyway. It's just a bad setup.

Silverwing

Reaction score
By size they mean proportions. If your proportions are correct, you can use the entire image.

billyidle

Reaction score
I was under the impression the OP did not understand how to use the crop box (drag a corner or edge to expand). The crop box is the correct height/width ratio regardless of size. So a perfectly proportioned and sized image does not require cropping.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That was my take on the OP as well. I'm not sure what OSX2000 means though. My wallpaper is certainly crisp.

livnzac

Reaction score
What i think jrl was originally saying was, when you try to set a picture from your gallery as your wallpaper you are automatically forced to crop it. And no you cannot stretch the crop to capture the entire picture. I have had this problem too.

tameone

Reaction score
You are automatically forced to the crop procedure when setting a wallpaper, but you will be able to drag the square and not have to crop a correctly sized picture. Pictures that are too large will have to be cropped.