How long at a time do you wirelessly tether? (and some other tethering questions)

Nibbz

Reaction score
Since rooting, one feature I haven't gotten to touch too much is wireless tethering, as Im usually in a place where my macbook can get a connection. However I noticed im getting faster download times in my bedroom with tethering as opposed to my home wireless connection.

My question is, how long at a time should you wirelessly tether? Will us rooters ALWAYS be able to wirelessly tether or will verizon do something about it? and Will I ever get in trouble for it?

Reaction score
I only use Wireless Tether occasionally, and only for a few minutes at a time. Mainly if the internet at my house goes out (for example during a storm or something like that)

Reaction score
Sometimes I will be on for up too an hour but only a few times a month. The problem I have is that recently the 3g signal stops working after 15 min or so.

jacobrv

Reaction score
I use it if I'm at school and need to get around the firewall, or if I'm out and about and not near a wifi hotspot. I've never used it for more than like an hour at a time though. I always used wired tether though, because it seems to work better.

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
yeah i have a macbook so wired tether doesnt work for me. i'll probably end up using tethering to download music at school. i dont share p2p, but i just dont want the university getting any idea that i am downloading music.

Newps

Reaction score
Once a week I am tethering for 8 straight hours. Basic web surfing.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I'd say maybe 4 times a month, and usually for about an hour or less each time. When school starts up, I may have to use it a little more since the school wireless goes out every so often.

OP
Nibbz

Nibbz

Reaction score
I have used it on my xbox for hours, but always have a fan on phone

Are you able to get on XBL through Tethering.. WOW... Didn't think of that LOL

not a bad idea. I'm usually going to end up using it Fridays and Saturdays when I get some downtime at the bakery (student by week, baker by weekend)

Is it bad to keep the tethering on for awhile? I have mine overclocked to 1000 mhz and i have a case on it, will the phone get too hot? what temp should I be concerned?

r314bd

Reaction score
I only use Wireless Tether occasionally, and only for a few minutes at a time. Mainly if the internet at my house goes out (for example during a storm or something like that)
Same. Although I went on a 6 hour road trip with a few friends a couple weeks ago and we had two laptops tethering the entire time. By the end of the trip we had tethered over 500MB :eek:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i use wireless tethering once or twice a week for like 30 mins to an hr. i also let the iPhone users tether off of it once awhile for like an hr (to get around firewall @ work). they (iPhone users) have use my tethering for "face time". DROID DOES!!! :D