How Is The Vibrate On This Phone? Can You Make Your Own Ringtones/Msg Alerts?

ptchick

Reaction score
What Handcent application is the one that helps with the vibrate?

slinky

Reaction score
i hate the vibrate. its so loud i don't need a ringtone. especially when its on a table or desk.

That is what makes the Droid the best phone on the market. If you work in a large metropolitan city, the Droid rules. The iPhone barely registers much and you'll miss calls you won't hear. I LOVE the Droid's vibrate mode and strength.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Excited about the change, but trying to learn as much about the Motorola Droid as possible because it's likely the one I'm going to get...
Well definitely spend some time reading the various subforums here!

How is the vibrate feat (like for phone calls, sms/mms alerts, etc) for this phone? I know the vibrate on my Sidekick is AMAZING-damn near falls off of my desk as work whenever someone is calling, and I can actually FEEL it if it's in my pocket and I get a text alert. Just wondering if the vibrate feature on the Droid was very strong.
You should really check one out in person as that's a very subjective question.

What Handcent application is the one that helps with the vibrate?
There's only one that I know of. The other Handcent items in the market are the font packs, keyboard, etc.

You'll sorely miss data and phone.
How do you know that he will? Not everyone find it useful despite the claims of the at&t ads.

It's a not a bad phone,but I would put the OS on the same level as Windows 98.It also leaks memory like crazy if you download a bunch of apps,youu have to make sure you close apps like facebook when your done using it or it will drain memory.
You have some problem apps that you need to deal with if that has been your experience. The OS itself doesn't have memory leaks that I'm aware of. If you have to state "if you download a bunch of apps" then one or more of your apps are the problem. Android will close apps properly if the app doesn't cause problems.

Last edited:

NVash

Reaction score
Currently with T-Mobile and have the Sidekick LX 09, and about to switch to VW! Excited about the change, but trying to learn as much about the Motorola Droid as possible because it's likely the one I'm going to get... How is the vibrate feat (like for phone calls, sms/mms alerts, etc) for this phone? I know the vibrate on my Sidekick is AMAZING-damn near falls off of my desk as work whenever someone is calling, and I can actually FEEL it if it's in my pocket and I get a text alert. Just wondering if the vibrate feature on the Droid was very strong.

Also, I wanted to know if you have to download certain ringtones from certain places (like the download catalog with the T-Mobile Sidekick), or if you can just put and .mp3 on the memory card and use IT as a ringtone/message alert. Can you set individual ringers/alerts for individual contacts too?

Thanks so much to anyone who has the answer to all these questions LOL!
Well, I had an old Sidekick LX, maybe the 2007 or 2008? Im not sure. It was the first LX, the blue one. Piece of junk, that it was, but Im sure theyve gotten better since then. And I gotta admit, I miss flipping it open. ANYWAY, one thing I hated about it was that the fact that if it wasnt a T-Mobile ringtone, it wasnt happening. Around that time I had found a bunch of ringtones online and, of course, downloaded them and wanted to use them. I couldnt figure out how to. I asked T-Mobile and they said if I wanted ringtones Id have to purchase them. At $1 a piece, theyre crazy. I tried a trick where Id send the ringtone to myself, then save it, that wouldnt work. This lack of ringtones became one of the main reasons I chucked that thing.

Now, I got a Dare, the sending it to myself trick worked. I got a Droid. IT NO LONGER WORKS. Dont try it, you will only frustrate yourself. If I get another prompt that the file is too big I might scream. But since getting the Droid it got much simpler. As was already said, any MP3 can be your ringtone. I wouldnt advise that since youll end up with your favorite song cutting off after 30seconds because phones dont ring very long, but its still a cool feature. And to remedy the last problem, just edit the MP3 a little and make it your favorite 30seconds of the song. Once you edit the MP3s, sync the phone to your computer, make a 'Media' folder, inside that make one for 'Alarms', 'Notifications' and 'Ringtones' then divy them out as you see fit.

I leave the full songs for Alarms, that way you can listen as long as you like because itll play until you shut it off. Notifications cut off rather early, maybe after 40seconds tops, those are for things like getting txt messages, EMail alerts and Twitter alerts. I like to keep them real short, less than a few seconds. Try to make it catchy, something you dont mind hearing often. If youre like me you get alot of txts and, even though it was a cool ringtone ten minutes ago, it might just end up sucking really fast. The Ringtones, Id say, make them around 30 or 40seconds long, thats about all youll get to hear before your phone will go to VoiceMail or the person calling will hang up.

Overall Ive got to say. While I do miss the Sidekick layout and, as mentioned, the cool flipping screen, I prefer the Droid. Oh, and whenever you get tired of a sound, just sync it up to the computer and get a new one. I have a ton in my phone already so I can just choose a new one whenever I want. That never gets old. I cant describe how cool it is to have people asking where you got your ringtone and you respond that you made your own, then have them ask you for it. Though, as mentioned, its a lot harder to give it to them with the Droid. With the Dare Id just send it to them. And, while it may work on the Droid with some really small files, most of them will not send.

Well, that ends that rant. Hopefully Ive helped in some sort of way.