How is the ballistic nylon holding up?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am looking at finally buying a Droid Turbo to replace my Droid Maxx. I like the ballistic nylon version, but am wondering how it is holding up for the folks that have had it for a while. There were some posts earlier this year about small wear marks and frays, but those seemed to settle down quickly. For those of you that own a ballistic nylon version, is it holding up well over time? Thanks.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Picks up a little bit of lint (not a lot)....otherwise looks brand new nearly a year later despite several drops.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
I've had mine since Black Friday, and case-less since that day. No wear-and-tear that I can see. Only a couple tiny, tiny frays around the Motorola circle and the camera/flash circles that were there since the first day.

When you get your Turbo, especially if you pick it up in-store, check for frays in front of the sales person. That's something I didn't do when I got mine, but I got lucky and have only very minor frays.

I also like to keep my phone clean, and often wipe it with a wet paper towel, so no lint/particles are sitting in the ballistic nylon. Only sometimes is there one or two little crumb/particle things sitting in the ballistic nylon that I can usually just blow away.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Opening day..glass screen protector and an otterbox commuter ..sexy as ever

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
No problems with mine sajokas. Pretty much kept it in a tpu case though. Had it for about 8 months.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I do not have any type of cover on mine and I usually carry it in my front pants pocket. I am conscious not to mix keys and coins in the same pocket. There is no sign of wear anyplace on the phone. ( I have dropped it a few times and lucky me it must have landed perfectly because no signs of dropping ) I have had it since November 2014.

JDH

Reaction score
Got mine 10/30/14, still looks brand new. I also have dropped mine several times with absolutely no sign of damage.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My fray's continued to get worse on the one side. I foolishly ran a nail file down the side and solved my issue. Now that side is totally frayed beyond recognition. So now I don't worry about frays anymore! :D
I don't get the lint comment I hear occasionally. I do not get lint in my nylon, never did, except for the now destroyed part.

What kind of pocket lint do these people have???

Join us Sajo!!!!

I will not lie though. After my best friend picked up a G3 and I see it alot now and help him with it....If I could go back and do it over again I'd get the G3.
Why?
  • It's flat out sexier. Feels so nice in your hand. Tiny bezel + big screen just feels sleek compared to Turbo. Turbo feels like a brick now. lol (Of course, countless reviews have said exactly this).
  • Removable battery and SD Card. I have not been at all impressed with the battery life of the Turbo.Yea, it's at least twice as good as my RAZR HD but it still rarely lasts me from morning to night without a Turbo charge.
  • I actually like LG's.... butter or whatever you want to call it. The lock screen is SWEET!

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Join us Sajo!!!!

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am looking at a few on Swappa right now. I plan on sticking with a Droid again. I know that there are a lot of other phones out there that may be nicer in some ways, but I really like the Droid lineup. I am trying to find one of the limited edition ballistic nylon with either blue or orange accents....those are pretty sweet.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I plan on sticking with a Droid again. I know that there are a lot of other phones out there that may be nicer in some ways, but I really like the Droid lineup.
You know what they say, "If you're not used to having a better device, you certainly won't miss it".

S5 tap'n

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You know what they say, "If you're not used to having a better device, you certainly won't miss it".

S5 tap'n
True. But a "better device" is a matter of opinion. Specs on paper are one thing.....the user experience is more important than a spec sheet. In my humble opinion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just bustin your chops.

S5 tap'n
I know. But my phone is still better than your phone. (JK)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

k1601

Reaction score
No ballistic nylon, but my hard back version has a small Crack between the camera and led. It is also getting small cracks coming out from around the led. Nothing voting for the ballistic nylon, but if I were to do it again I'd get that version.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I know that there are a lot of other phones out there that may be nicer in some ways, but I really like the Droid lineup.

Honestly I think this is still one of the nicest phones out there, if not the nicest. The battery life is still unrivaled and as far as I know it's still the only phone you can wave your hand over to unlock, as well as the simple camera/flashlight gestures even when the screen is off.

I love this thing!