How do you see yourself using the Nexus Player?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
If you are planning to purchase a Nexus Player, how do you see it being used in your TV setup?

I stumbled upon this review over the Verge and thought it was a good read and especially for "how to use"...

Google Nexus Player review The Verge

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I just can't see myself using this at this point.

I've got 2 Logitech Revu boxes. One that's still in a box from when I moved and another that's hooked up to hdmi2 and hasn't been used since I got the Xbox One. Kinda sad that the Nexus Player doesn't have hdmi passthrough. That's what I liked about the Revu and love about the Xbox One. No switching inputs to get to content from a different device (until you add in a 3rd, 4th, etc).

Also, the Xbox has all of the video apps that this has (plus some that this doesn't yet), with the exception of Google Play, so I'm pretty good on content.

Think I'd rather pickup a chromecast at this point...

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
If anything, I would want to use the Nexus Player as a gaming device, but so many games I like require the touchscreen interface. For media playback, I use a Synology box with two 4TB drives feeding a couple of WDTV Live boxes, as it seems to be the only player I have tried (so far) which handles any format I throw at it. However, VLC now has an Android app, and it is also like a Swiss Army Knife player for all formats. If that loads on the Nexus Player, it would work really well. Although its interface is clunky.

That is what killed Chromecast for me--poor media format support, and poor DLNA/UPnP support. Not to mention it won't hold a network connection more than a day. I liked the idea behind it but in my case, it was ultimately a complete failure. And I did not want to wait months or years for common video formats to be supported. I do not stream online video, other than use YouTube...and I have my WDTV Live boxes or the Oppo BDP-105 if that's the case. But for the price, I had to try it. It is a cool device for some, but did not suit my needs unfortunately. (And I'm too stubborn to give it up. :D )