how do you guys like your DROID?

nite 0wl

Reaction score
There are two supposedly in the works, one around mid-December and one in late January. Both are supposed to be OTA.

do you think its gonna be automatic update??

There hasn't been any indication yet; the source for the information is some leaked documents from Verizon regarding planned workarounds and fixes for common issues, see this Phandroid post for the originals: Motorola Droid OTA Update Coming December 11th? | Android Phone Fans, if you get down to around page 3 of the document you will see the issues that have planned fixes and estimated release dates for the updates.

Given the way the Droid handles updates to Market apps I would guess that there would at least be some notification that one was available. Even if there isn't I would keep an eye on these forums and Phandroid as the date approaches (hopefully we'll get some official public announcements with some hard release dates as they get close to a finished build) and if nothing else on the release day go to Settings > About phone > System updates, which should automatically find any available system updates.

EDIT:: Here is the local thread with some additional links to other resources, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...s/1431-first-ota-update-verizon-dec-11th.html

Last edited:

ReconMarine

Reaction score
Still playing with it and trying to understand what it offers that I can't find elsewhere. I once had an iphone and liked it but did not like AT&T service. Works okay in almost every city but get outside an urban era and the coverage falls off quickly..

OP
cLovis_ll

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
Still playing with it and trying to understand what it offers that I can't find elsewhere. I once had an iphone and liked it but did not like AT&T service. Works okay in almost every city but get outside an urban era and the coverage falls off quickly..

where are you located specifically?

hazydave

Reaction score

If you get far enough from civilization, any cell phone becomes useless.

Here in South Jersey, I'm in a location where Sprint doesn't make it to the house, T-Mobile... maybe, sorta-kinda, just outside the house (very good 1/4 mile away at the head of the driveway), and AT&T is a strong "maybe" indoors. Verizon works in my cellar.

On vacation, I go to an island in a big lake in New Hampshire. If you walk to the north end, outside, and sit on a rock near the dock, you can get AT&T. Verizon works most places. T-Mobile used to make it to my cabin (also on the north end), but not necessarily inside. No data on Sprint.

I was backpacking in New Mexico, north near Cimmeron, for two weeks a few year ago. AT&T sorta-kinda worked at the base camp, and one of our team got it on top of a mountain. Verizon had been good before the cell tower fell down. Nothing else even came close.

So I stuck with Verizon ... and damn glad I waited to upgrade, at this point. The DROID isn't prefect, but I'm smart and experienced enough to know you never get perfect. But it's essentially what I was waiting for, for the last year since my Palm Treo died, but even before then. Palm had basically dropped big support for the PalmOS, and I couldn't understand just why, with such a big head start, Apple was drinking their milkshake. A Treo with a 16GB SD card did every multimedia thing the iPhone did, though it was a bit clumsy. Showing its age, and lack of upkeep, mostly.

It's fantastic to be in at the start of something like Android, rather then at the practical end of the PalmOS.

OP
cLovis_ll

cLovis_ll

Reaction score

If you get far enough from civilization, any cell phone becomes useless.

that's true.. when i drove in the middle of highway 5 (mostly cow or vegetable farms), i still have 5 bars of signal...