How do I unlock+ root my GNEX ?

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
actually I dont know if I need it unlocked because I bought it GSM SIM FREE UNCLOCKED so I dont know if that information is needed.
All I want is to install a ROM :)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
actually I dont know if I need it unlocked because I bought it GSM SIM FREE UNCLOCKED so I dont know if that information is needed.
All I want is to install a ROM :)

Well, the GSM version of your phone is most likely incompatible with the ROM's that are supplied through this forum. This forum is mostly for CDMA devices.

However, since your device is already "unlocked" you are half way there. Perhaps you can start here: Galaxy Nexus ROMs [GSM]

and here [GSM] Galaxy Nexus Developer Forum - RootzWiki

Good luck.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference between having the SIM unlocked and the bootloader unlocked. If you have the SIM unlocked, all that means is that you can go to a different carrier, insert a SIM and have data. It does nothing for your ability to root and flash ROMs.

If your bootloader is locked, follow the manual guide on here. Takes like 10 minutes after getting drivers set up.

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
Well although not many of you guys commented and helped but I was able to root and unlock the phone.
I currently have the Android revolution HD 2.1.5 for gsm .
I would appreciate if you guys would explain what gapping is and if you could give me good names of roms for GSM phones .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well although not many of you guys commented and helped but I was able to root and unlock the phone.
I currently have the Android revolution HD 2.1.5 for gsm .
I would appreciate if you guys would explain what gapping is and if you could give me good names of roms for GSM phones .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
akhenax provided a link for a few GSM ROMs. There may be some more over at rootzwiki and xda.

As for helping, sorry we weren't really there to answer much, but we got lives outside of the forum ya know:D As for gapping, never heard of it.

edit: And here's the result of a google search: http://galaxynexusroot.com/category/galaxy-nexus-gsm-roms/

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Gapping I am not sure what that is. GApps maybe? If so, that means Google Apps, which are the non open source apps, generally included in a separate download.

OP
N

nadav64

Reaction score
Gapping I am not sure what that is. GApps maybe? If so, that means Google Apps, which are the non open source apps, generally included in a separate download.

Exactly ! that makes so much sense !
I have another question,is there an android 4.0.4 UPDATE for GSM ?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Exactly ! that makes so much sense !
I have another question,is there an android 4.0.4 UPDATE for GSM ?

A quick scan of Galaxy Nexus Android Development - xda-developers and Galaxy Nexus [GSM] - RootzWiki didn't show one. The GApps are available ( [Gapps][XHDPI][HDPI][4.0.4] Kejar31 Gapps 02/06/12 - RootzWiki ), but not a full ROM.

But to be honest I really don't know. I am a CDMA user, so I don't follow the GSM development too close. 4.0.4 hasn't hit open source yet, so it would make sense if it is not.