how do I set custom tones for texts?

zanqu

Reaction score
I got my Droid about two days ago and i really enjoy it. I have figured out how to make my music that i took off of my computer into ringtones but is it possible to do this for text messages?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got my Droid about two days ago and i really enjoy it. I have figured out how to make my music that i took off of my computer into ringtones but is it possible to do this for text messages?

yes, use Tone Picker. great free app

Spotmark

Reaction score
On your SD card, create a folder named "Media". In that folder create another folder named "Audio". In that folder create four folders named "Alarm", "Music", "Notifications", and "Ringtones". Put your text alert tones in the "Notifications" folder.

eversonsc

Reaction score
Use "Ringdroid". Its a free program you download from the Market. You can make any sound into a ringtone or a notification tone. It works great

JasonLee

Reaction score
Use ringdroid to create tones or download soundboards get cool sounds (i use star wars sounds for my notifications lol) then get sms popup and it will allow you to give each person a different sound for there text alert

Rynos13

Reaction score
On your SD card, create a folder named "Media". In that folder create another folder named "Audio". In that folder create four folders named "Alarm", "Music", "Notifications", and "Ringtones". Put your text alert tones in the "Notifications" folder.

You don't need to do all that for texts. You can just create a new folder and name it Notifications and put them in there.

Danthok

Reaction score
I must be missing something, because I cannot figure out how to set custom notification tones for contacts. Tone picker is an awesome program regardless, but if someone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

I feel like a nooB....

elgordo123

Reaction score
Linux operating systems are CaSe SeNsItIvE, so make sure that you name the folders correctly, "Alarm", "Music", "Notifications", and "Ringtones". NOT alarm, music, etc...

If the folder name starts with a lowercase letter it will not see it, and thus not use it.

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
Linux operating systems are CaSe SeNsItIvE, so make sure that you name the folders correctly, "Alarm", "Music", "Notifications", and "Ringtones". NOT alarm, music, etc...

If the folder name starts with a lowercase letter it will not see it, and thus not use it.
thanks for the Case Sensitive info. i had no idea about that.

Jasonconfused

Reaction score

You don't need to do all that for texts. You can just create a new folder and name it Notifications and put them in there.

Ok so i created these folders or directories or w/e but the part i'm not understanding is where do i drag from? from vcast media manager? or wat? and then where do i access this on my droid x?