How do I get S Off on the Eris?

ambrown

Reaction score
Okay I've been all over trying to find the best way to get S Off and the best I came up with was to try flashing the Engineering Bootloader, the file is erisengsl.zip and when Itried to flash it it didn't work to obtain S Off. I read that it worked with bootloader version 1.49 okay, but I'm on version 1.47. I even tried the official HTC unlock bootloader tool but it didn't work for me since it didn't like one of my version numbers. I'm already rooted but I'm looking to flash some ROMs on my device and it seems S Off is the best way to go there.

Can anyone tell me how to get S Off? Or possibly upgrade the bootloader to v1.49 so I can try the .zip above again?

doogald

Reaction score
Actually, you are better off on 1.47.0000 S-ON than 1.49.0000.

The best way, frankly, is to install the root ROM PBM00IMG.zip. This will reinstall stock recovery and completely wipe data, and will also install an old radio (so you should then run something to update that as well.)

Anyway, steps would be:

- install root ROM ROM PB00IMG.zip
- reroot the phone
- install Flashback_21v2 with radio to go back to stock, but update the radio as well
- reroot again
- Nandroid restore what you have now, install whichever ROM you wish, etc.

A link to the root ROM PB00IMG.zip is here: [HTC ROMs] Consolidated HTC Eris RUU/OTA/ROM URLs - xda-developers - remember to rename it to PB00IMG.zip on the SD card (that's zero-zero, not two letter o). Restart the phone in HBOOT (hold VolDn while starting the phone) and it should walk you through installing the image. A photo walkthrough of this process is here: Visual Example: The PB00IMG.ZIP update method - Android Forums

Also, remember to rename or delete the PB00IMG.zip file after you restart, so it doesn't accidentally run again.

To get Recovery back on, you can get it here, with instructions: Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required! - Android Forums - look toward the bottom of that post - ScaryAlien has a link to a version of jcase's 1-click app. Or, you can try fastboot if you have the SDK installed.

Flashback_21v2 is here: [ROM][03/06/2011]FlashBack21 v2 -Return to Factory Stock - March 2011 OTA - xda-developers - read the part after the red headline about flashing the radio. Make sure you get the radio version, not the noradio version - that's the only reason you do this step.

And, of course, you can reroot with the same method as above.

OP
ambrown

ambrown

Reaction score
Thank you! I appreciate you going into detail for me.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love the fact that someone is still rocking the Eris - and I'm not being sarcastic at all! :) That was a great little device.

OP
ambrown

ambrown

Reaction score
Well I'm rocking it not out of choice but of need since I recently lost my Droid Incredible to a swimming pool...May it rest in peace. But my sister was kind enough to give me her Eris since she's now on a different carrier.

I'm just now looking to ease my discomfort (going from gingerbread back to 2.1 hasn't been easy) until upgrade time in about a month or so. But after the upgrade I'll feel more free to try new stuff with this little phone since it'll be just a back up.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

doogald

Reaction score
You're very welcome. Let me know if it works out.

Just one more note: in order to install the jcase 1-click root app, you need to go into settings-> applications and allow unknown sources. You should be able to install the app using the free file manager app Astro File Manager - install Astro, copy the .apk file to your SD card, and use Astro to navigate to the file and tap it - it should ask you if you want to install the app.

The 1-click root requires you to install the app, run it, I think you tap an onscreen button, then shut off the phone. Power the phone on normally - that will complete the process to get root - and then you can power off. Power on holding VolUp and you *should* see the Amon_RA recovery menu, and from there you can flash the Flashback_21v2.zip file (wipe data/factory reset before you flash it.)