How do I create Subfolders in Android email?

HorfieldBS7

Reaction score
Have a Huawei Ascend G510 and am lost as to how to get the thing working to my satisfaction, Wish I had never bought the thing under contract and just kept using my ancient Nokia Slide. Need help please with Email firstly how to create sub folders within accounts and secondly what the hell is sync'ing all about! What syncs with what? and what do the various settings mean. The Huawei Manual or User Guide is useless and I could understand more about my mobile phone by reading Directory Enquiries! Please will manufacturers start to concentrate more on the writing of their user guides.
Seriously though now I have got over my ranting any help with the 2 points raised would be appreciated.

HorfieldBS7

ps whats a trackback???

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

You have,. (obviously), found out that Android mail clients are somewhat lacking when compares to virtually all PC based mail clients.

But there is a solution - only if you have your mail set up as IMAP rather than POP mail, and it will work with all the mail clients I have tried. If you are on IMAP go to the mail WEB site in your browser and create folders there. Syncing, in the case of IMAP in particular, means that what you send syncs with the sent folder on the mail server so it will also be available on other mail clients (or at least on the WEB version). But also, since IMAP is a two way street any folders you create on the WEB side will also be synced with the mail client.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

OP
HorfieldBS7

HorfieldBS7

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

You have,. (obviously), found out that Android mail clients are somewhat lacking when compares to virtually all PC based mail clients.

But there is a solution - only if you have your mail set up as IMAP rather than POP mail, and it will work with all the mail clients I have tried. If you are on IMAP go to the mail WEB site in your browser and create folders there. Syncing, in the case of IMAP in particular, means that what you send syncs with the sent folder on the mail server so it will also be available on other mail clients (or at least on the WEB version). But also, since IMAP is a two way street any folders you create on the WEB side will also be synced with the mail client.

Hi Thanks for replies!
I am now left wondering what the IMAP is for Hotmail.com and live.com and gmail.com and what are their Domain Names if I need them, do I? Do I also need to know these three types of accounts SMTP's as well? If so can someone tell me what they should be.
Also do I presume correctly the Sent Items Folder on the Email Client and the Android get synced and none of the other folders do? What I am trying to achieve now is to send and receive emails using my email client when online and when it is not online then those emails go to my Android.

Thanks HorfieldBS7

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for replies!
I am now left wondering what the IMAP is for Hotmail.com and live.com and gmail.com and what are their Domain Names if I need them, do I? Do I also need to know these three types of accounts SMTP's as well? If so can someone tell me what they should be.
Also do I presume correctly the Sent Items Folder on the Email Client and the Android get synced and none of the other folders do? What I am trying to achieve now is to send and receive emails using my email client when online and when it is not online then those emails go to my Android.

Thanks HorfieldBS7

G-Mail is IMAP by default if you use the G-Mail app. Hotmail will soon not work at all as Microsoft is discontinuing it in favor of using Outlook.com. The conversion is easy. There should be enough information (here) for you to get started.

All the folders get synced, in both directions. All SMTP is, is an outbound mail sever, (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol). Mail servers work differently but you can do a Google search using the terms: imap mail settings (your ISP or mail server name) - and you should be able to find all the settings you need.

OP
HorfieldBS7

HorfieldBS7

Reaction score
G-Mail is IMAP by default if you use the G-Mail app. Hotmail will soon not work at all as Microsoft is discontinuing it in favor of using Outlook.com. The conversion is easy. There should be enough information (here) for you to get started.

All the folders get synced, in both directions. All SMTP is, is an outbound mail sever, (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol). Mail servers work differently but you can do a Google search using the terms: imap mail settings (your ISP or mail server name) - and you should be able to find all the settings you need.

Thanks for ur reply!I too have been doing some research on various Forums and You Tube etc. A common opinion is that IMAP will not work on Outlook.com but will on Outlook!

Also although Microsoft maybe discontinuing Hotmail, users who have Hotmail accounts can still continue using the addresses as long as they create another account with the same email address and password etc using pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com. When this is done the emails will transfer from the original old email account to the new email account except for those in sub folders. Therefore firstly the sub folders have to be created in the new pop3/smtp account when using MOVE not copy for the emails in the subfolders of the original old existing account to the new pop3/smtp account. When all the emails are in the new accounts subfolders the original old Hotmail account should be deleted. If the original old Hotmail account is deleted before the emails are in the new accounts sub folders the emails in the sub folders will be lost for ever.

I am still wrestling with creating a gmail account using pop3 and smtp servers in Outlook.com but when I have the answer I will post it if no one beats me to it!!!!!

HorfieldBS7

usman125

Reaction score
and just kept using my ancient Nokia Slide. Need help please with Email firstly how to create sub folders within accounts and secondly what the hell is sync'ing all about! What syncs with what? and what do the various settings mean. The Huawei Manual or User Guide is useless and I could understand more about my mobile phone by reading Directory Enquiries! Please will manufacturers start to concentrate more on the writing of their user guides.
Seriously though now I h