how can i type with different languages on the stock keyboard?

tktouch12

Reaction score
i want to type in spanish, german, japanese, arabic, and others. i hate to say this,, but the iphone can type in tons of languages, but i can't find a way to change my language to anything but english.
is there a way to do this with the stock android keyboard? or is there another app that will at least?
thanks

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
1000 views and no responses?
Can anyone help me? Or do I have to accept this as my droid's first 'doesn't' ?

Diordna

Reaction score
Does going to settings, keyboard&language, at the top it says select locale. You can pick spanish at least. (don't know if it changes keyboard but 'd think it would for stock)

Or I think going to the market for "Better keyboard" and then for "Language pack: better keyboard" might help some language issues out too

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best that I can tell is Droid supports English and Spanish and apparently there is a Korean app out there.

I believe the Incredible may contain multi language support, but I'm not certain.

shugar

Reaction score
i want to type in spanish, german, japanese, arabic, and others. i hate to say this,, but the iphone can type in tons of languages, but i can't find a way to change my language to anything but english.
is there a way to do this with the stock android keyboard? or is there another app that will at least?
thanks

Did you ever find an answer to this? I have started to use the OpenWnn plus to type in Japanese, but it is fickle.

V

volando

You might have to search for specific languages, for example I found an app called "russian keyboard" which gives me the ability to type on the screen (number of formats), on the physical keyboard (real russian layout or phonetic translit)... displays a flag in the notification tray for whatever layout you use. Pretty much exactly how things work in windows.

You have to enable the additional keyboards in settings, one click really.

zero7404

Reaction score
the market has input languages/keyboards you can choose from. i am using greek with no problems. αβγδ ...

shugar

Reaction score
You might have to search for specific languages, for example I found an app called "russian keyboard" which gives me the ability to type on the screen (number of formats), on the physical keyboard (real russian layout or phonetic translit)... displays a flag in the notification tray for whatever layout you use. Pretty much exactly how things work in windows.

You have to enable the additional keyboards in settings, one click really.

Yeah, its not so difficult once you find the right app. Unfortunately, Japanese IMEs for Droid are few and far between. I am curious about the app you are using for Russian. What is the name? Does it have a way to switch from English to Russian through the physical keyboard?

zero7404

Reaction score
the market has input languages/keyboards you can choose from. i am using greek with no problems. αβγδ ...

Nice! :) Even though I don't know Greek, which app are you using?

sorry for the delay ... it's just called 'Greek keyboard'
it shuffles a few items around on the standard kb, so that the flag can occupy one of the keys (hitting the flag will switch the language).

so instead of having a dedicated period key, it's a period/comma key ... i frequently do this: ....... so i have to wait a second in order to repeat the periods or else it'll switch it to a comma.

overall it doesn't seem to have affected the rest of the kb's functionality.

V

volando

I am curious about the app you are using for Russian. What is the name? Does it have a way to switch from English to Russian through the physical keyboard?

It's just called "russian keyboard" :)

It's very functional as far as I can tell, the kb shortcut to switch locales is shift-space.

zero7404

Reaction score
since i switched to the d2g, tried looking for the same kb ... but it looks like it was either taken off the market or changed ... the versions available aren't great ...

mitechka

Reaction score
There is a paid app called SlideIT Keyboard on the market, that provides a multi-language software keyboard. The price is somewhat steep, but the keyboard is very good. I am using it as my main keyboard at the moment for typing english and russian.

mitechka

Reaction score
There seems to be an even better way, there is an app under Tools called Multiling Gingerbread Keyboard that supports a lot of different languages for free.

mitechka

Reaction score
As a result, I have finally ended up with AnySoft Keyboard app, that supports many languages and is free. Gyngerbread Multiling app I mentioned before has very small keys on my Droid 2 (guess it is optimized for bigger screens)